Contractions?

Can you still feel the baby move during contractions? I feel a lot of pain and pressure down there from her head pushing, but I don't know if I should count it as a contraction if I can still feel her wiggling above. There are times when it feels really hard all over, but she's big and I'm tiny, so if she gets in snuggling position, my whole body feels hard anyways.

With my first, I didn't get hard pain until about 20 minutes before I had her, so it's a little freaky and I don't like to feel like I'm bugging the doc all the time if it's nothing. The other day they were monitored, 10 minutes apart and after about 30 hours they calmed down, so now I'm trying to wait until I have pain exactly 5 minutes apart for an hour like they said. Which is bull because what if my labor is only 20 minutes long again?

Anyways, there are soo many different types of contractions and pains at this point, what should I be monitoring?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I could still feel my babys move until right before delivery. If you are feeling pressure from her head it is probably that she is turning or she could be moving further in the birthing canal. When i felt that it was because the baby was moving further down. How far along are you? As for waiting til they are 5 minutes apart, if you live close to the hospital i would wait til they are close and steady before going but i wouldnt let them be 5 minutes since you have a history of delivering quickly. I am the same way and I love 25 minutes from the nearest hosptial and if i waited til they were 5 minutes apart i would deliver in the car LOL
    mamasangels2009

Answer by mamasangels2009 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks, I'm about 20 minutes away. I'm 37wks and she's been down for a while now. Sometimes it's when I'm just standing there or if I sit down too fast, but I'm getting strong pain down and also in my lower back. With my first daughter I didn't have any back labor and it was very quick, but the doc broke my water for me. I wish it would just break so I know for sure. I'll just keep watching the clock. The past couple nights I've been waking up with pain half dreaming that I'm puching her out. Maybe I've just been thinking about it too much since it's getting closer and I know it's coming soon. I just don't want to look stupid and go in there over nothing, but I don't want it to be too late.

Any other tips or advice about what to look for are welcome here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes, i felt my daughter moving right up until I started pushing.

What my doula told me was this: If you have to focus during contractions and you want a hospital birth you might want to go.

I had an hour drive to my hospital and I labored at home for 25 hours (6 of those hours being hard labor that I had to focus on). I left when contractions were 2 mins apart and made it in time, but labor is different for everyone. I wasn't scared of a homebirth if it came to that so I was comfortable with doing things the way I did. If you're not, then listen to your body and go in when you need to stop what you're doing and put your all into that contraction.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming baby!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks. That's a really good point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think I'm going to try to go to bed and if they get bad enough to wake me up, then I'll start watching the clock and go in. I'm ready. I've even tried having sex recently and I haven't been in the mood for that in months, so maybe that'll move things along more smoothly. Or maybe I'm just tender. Whatever the case, I know I need to stop thinking about it every second of the day. LOL.

I'll check back in the AM for more answers or suggestions, so keep 'em coming.

I was induced with my first, he broke my water, no pain, and had her withing a few hours. I sent my dad home to cash his check and he came back 20 minutes later and she was here. I pushed like twice. No epidural because it happened soo fast. So watching for contractions is all new to me and really makes me nervous. delete your answer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Girl, you're only 37 weeks. You could still have 3-6 weeks left! Try not to focus on that clock. Don't go crazy timing every little thing. I had a TON of strong Braxton Hicks during my pregnancy with at LEAST 3 hours of regular painless ctx a day and even 14 hours or prodromal labor before my daughter was born 5 hours after her due date. If I had monitored all of the contractions starting at 37 weeks I would have went bonkers, lol. I understand being nervous... I never labored with my 1st birth (unnecessary c-section after water broke w/out ctx) so my 2nd birth was COMPLETELY foreign to me!

Relax... If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. No need to stress out about it. Not good for you or baby :)

Again, GL!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I know, but I'm already dialated and it seems like every other sign is there except my water breaking and the contractions aren't that close.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with mamasangels2009. Since you have already given birth, you'll probably know when it is time to go but since you had a quick delivery the last time, I'd take caution to that. Don't stress over it but be aware. Go with your gut. (No pun intended! LOL) Seriously, though, since you live 20 min away, be sure all is ready and packed in case. I had my daughter at 38 weeks but with a 20 hour labor. (About 12 hours latent labor and the rest hard labor.) But they say subsequent deliveries are usually faster than the first. So again, be aware of that fact. Hope all works out for you. Get as much sleep as possible!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Word of advice... Dilation means NOTHING when it comes to determining when you'll go into labor. My doula had a client dilated 4cm for 3 weeks! Many other women have been dilated 1-4 cm for weeks before delivery also. Dilation is just a PART of the process, not the start of it.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 10:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2009