Is an electrical fence harmful?

My neighbor is having trouble keeping their 3 dogs fenced in. They are considering putting an electrical fence. Will it harm the dogs? I thought it was an awful idea.

RidingPink

Asked by RidingPink at 1:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Resorting to shocking an animal because you're either too lazy or inept to train it properly is barbaric.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well seeing as its electric im sure it will shock the dogs if they run into it. I would say its probably atleast as bad as the invisible fencing only the electric fence running into it they would get hurt more such as cuts and things. Ya it sounds like a bad idea to me too.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It works for us. Our labs only hit the fence once before they decided that was a bad idea. No permanrnt damage Just scared and startled them. As long as pups or kids are kept away no harm no foul.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my bro has one for his dog..well..its for the horses..lol..but it works wonders on the dog cuz he always used to jump the fence..but not anymore!! i dont think theres any harm in them...i just got a shock collar for my dog..and that works great too!! its been 2 days and hes a complete angel now!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• we've always had a solar powered one for our horses. you do what works, and what works for you. if her electric fencing system keeps her dog out of the road he won't be ran over or pooping in your yard. they are dogs not children, i'm happy she is at least being proactive in the situation and fencing the dogs in a manner that works.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• whats the difference if u use a electric fence or a dog or a horse as long as it works and keeps everyone safe im all for it....one shock should keep the dogs away form it so u neighbor might in time could turn it off
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009