Warnings from the West Coast? Congressman Tom McClintock

A generation ago, California exemplified its nickname, “The Golden State.” State spending was less than half per capita, inflation adjusted, what it is today. Its debt-service ration was less than a third. Yet Californians enjoyed one of the finest highway systems in the world and one of the finest public educations systems in the country. Water and electricity were so cheap that many communities didn’t bother to meter consumption.
Only a few decades have passed, yet California is a dramatically altered place. The tax burden is one of the heaviest in the nation. State government consumes the largest portion of personal earnings than at any time in its history and yet can no longer maintain its basic infrastructure. The once legendary California quality of life has declined precipitously and produced an historic first: more people are now moving out of California than are moving in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I live in CA part time (work and own a home here) and in IL the balance of the time (my husband works and owns a home). Yes, CA is going through a rough patch at this point, and is quite expensive, but if you enjoy nice weather, and a year around outdoor life style, CA has much to offer. I live about 200 steps from the Pacific-it was a balmy 80 degrees today-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We just left California. You couldn't pay me to even vacation in that state again. Crime was very high even before the economic downturn. People are rude would walk over your dying body rather than call 911. Taxes are crazy high. I supose if you are a rich liberal you would love the state.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• McClintock has been beating this drum for several years now.

The really awful thing is that Californians made their own mess by electing the Governator. If we'd all swallowed our medicine of higher vehicle license fees back during the davis era (VLF is what got him booted out)...we'd be in FAR better shape today.

But instead, we're seeing an acceleration of our taxation, reduction of services and we're STILL paying a higher VLF. Funny thing, though. We just got our registration of one car and the increased VLF didn't make that much difference. I was thinking our registration was going to balloon up to something like $1K...it didn't. It's only about $40 more than last year. I can handle an extra $40.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• what's your question?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my ol man interviewed for a job in CA last June, and it was a sh--hole. Sh--hole Sh--hle Sh--hole.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• A few years ago, I was offered a job transfer to CA with a 15% pay increase. I ran the numbers, my costs would have gone up, and my quality of life would have gone down. I would have had to sell my house and move into a small apartment to afford the transfer. I don't know how average people afford to live there. It sounds much worse now.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yep, you do have to make a boat load to live in CA.
    I'll take this over my husband's Chicago, any day.
    Any place where you make good wages and businesses flourish is expensive,period
    Craphole USA might be nice, quiet and affordable, but if there are no jobs who's going to move there?

Central CA coast is beautiful, clean...wonderful place to live, but you do need the bucks-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sisteract--I live in the central valley and my hubby and I enjoy the Central Coast as often as we can escape (there are all climates here in this state). I agree, you do have to make a boatload of money to live in most places. Swartzy has led this state in to the sink hole it now is in.
    Gotta admit, we have some great wine! :)
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009