Have you ever had a false positive home pregnancy test?

A false positive is when the test reads positive but you are not pregnant. I just took a pregnancy test and right away it clearly showed the line in the results window, however I was just reading that false positives can happen with home pregnancy tests. So I am just wondering if it has happened to anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Actually this did happen to me. I was about a week late. I had an old test that I had packed up in a box when we moved so I took it. It was a clear positive. Well, about 3 days later I started bleeding and my mom bought me another test. It was completely negative. I had a normal period. I was never pregnant. But I think the test was old and that's why that happened. It had been stored in a box in the basement.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 1:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't believe there's such thing as a true false positive. Usually what happens is that you test positive but due to some issue with the pregnancy such as chromosomal defects...you have an early miscarriage, otherwise known as a chemical pregnancy. A chemical pregnancy is a miscarriage that happens before the 5th week of pregnancy. Many times a women will miss a period and get a positive and then later go to the doc and get a negative blood test or not detectable embryo via ultrasound due to chemical pregnancy. I wouldn't think that you could every get a positive and NOT be pregnant because a pregnancy test detects the hCG hormone which is ONLY produced when you are pregnant. So if you got a positive result, you are indeed pregnant. Congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2009