• In the Spotlight:

IMPORTANT

okay I had a miscarriage and had to have a d&c...will this mess me up later on when I'm ready to try again? I've heard that a d&c can cause infertility.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sorry for your loss. No, it shouldn't. I may be a bad example b/c I don't think I am very fertile and most of my life I have been irregular. However, I had a miscarriage in 2000 and also a D&C. With a different man (my husband) I had a baby at age 37 with him. Thinking she was a fluke and didn't think it would happen again, WRONG. I am now 39 and 10 weeks pregnant with another one. (My last...ah hem...due to age factor.) So, never assume. As long as your doctor (which I'm sure is totally experienced and capable) was careful and did a decent job on the D&C, you should be FINE. It can happen but it is quite a rare occurrence for damage to be caused during that procedure. Just be sure to abstain from intercourse until your doctor gives you the ok after having the D&C. Having sex too early, before your body has recovered CAN cause problems. Best to you. Hope this helps.
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no it wont! i had a dc done back in aug of 2007...i got prego in march of 08 (had him) now i am expecting baby #2.. goodluck
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 2:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had a D&C after having my 2nd (retained tissue had to be cleaned out after delivery)

went on to have #3
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had a D&C in Nov because I had a blighted ovum (empty sac) and i got pregnant again in April so in my case, no it didnt mess anything up:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2009