• In the Spotlight:

Why won't she just go away?

Here is my situation, I am home more than anyone in the house and a nice old lady started coming by and talking to me about the bible and this and that and it was a nice conversation from here to there, then she started bringing me paperback books and flyers about conventions and everything. Kinda getting annoying, then I found out she's a Jehovah's witness.. I'm not bashing, but not my thing. My question is, how do I get her to stop coming around without hurting her feelings? She came by today and I, being the nice person I am, stood at my door and spoke with her a little bit, but forgot to mention that she shouldn't come back because I'm not interested in going to church with her or whatever they do. I want to be nice about this, she's just really starting to get on my nerves...

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 3:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you may have to be honest with her and just say thank you but no thank you. I'm just interested. They, JW's< can be annoying & not take no for answer. I keep finding their magazines on my doorstep & it's annoying. Never requested it & don't want it!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Answer the door naked. That'll get her to go away fast, lol. Kidding; just tell her that you're sorry but you're not interested.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sarah, my son did that with the Mormons & told them he was gay(which he isn't) they didn't know what to say!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If you are a certian religion you can tell her point blank that you are happy with your belief. Or if you are an atheist just tell her. If she starts getting upset then just tell her you like her as a person but you are not interested in converting to another path. kwim
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:21 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am always kind to them but I never let my conversation go lomger then 3-4 minutes. Before I answer the door I quickly program me cell alarm to ring in 5 mins and pretend I have a phonecall. I don't have the heart to tell them NO! I am Catholic!. I take their literature, erad it and then recycle it. They go door to door because they are in fact "witnessing you". How you accept their message and although it seems like a nice community/religion you can kindly tell them you are not intersted. GL. If worst comes to worst then just do the old duck and cover when they are at the door.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 5:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That's a toughie. I don't want to hurt fheir feelings but I do say that I am happy with my own religion and that everyone has the right to chose their own. I don't think anyone should preach and try to sell their church .....I especially do not like the Mormons going door-to-door. My brother is LDS and has given me all the publications and it still hasn't cause me to be converted. And it never will. It is so hard to communicate that and not make them feel bad.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• you just did it, tell her your not inyerested and thank her for her time,BUT is there a reason why shes comming? Have you been praying about something or going through something? The angels send people to help.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and can say that this lady has somehow got the impression from what you've said and how you've respond to what you've seen that she's welcomed to come back and chat more.

Next time she calls still be your normal friendly self but instead of holding back and letting her get chatting just put you hand up straightaway and say something like "I enjoyed chatting with you but really I don't want to chat anymore. I can see the Bible's not something I'm interested in. Please don't call again." You're not being mean. Just assertive.

Try not to hold it against us. We do mean well & are only looking for those that ARE interested in what the Bible really teaches. [Thankyou for being so polite & tolerant toward my spiritual sister. I hope you'll always be treated with the same dignity & respect.]
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 9:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Honestly, I wouldn't answer the door. I have a problem with avoidance.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Your first mistake was answering the door. Your second mistake, talking to her. Third mistake, accepting her literature. There isn't a "nice" way to tell someone to get lost. You have to just bite the bullet and say it, or suck it up and endure it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009