If this was happenning to your daughter (3 years old)...

what you do? She is being hit by another child at the day care provider's house. Would you change provider? My husband thinks I'm over-reacting. Do you feel this is this a over reaction because kids will hit everywhere? Today I plan to speak with the provider.

CloverE

Asked by CloverE at 7:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes dont overreact...unfortunately kids hit...also if your hearing this from your daughter you have to understand your hearing the story from a 3yo's perspective...the best way to approach this is to talk to the daycare provider and ask tell her what your daughter said and let her fill in the gaps. Unfortunately your daughters going to be dealing with this and worse once she starts school.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• kids will allways hit, but if the same child is hitting over and over agian it does need to be addressed with the day care provider
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well, find out the details first before you respond. Just go in and share your concerns with her. My son was being hit at school in kindergarten and it was happening when no one saw. I was furious, but I did calmly go in and speak to the principle. Find out whats happening and ask her to specifically keep an eye on them and if it continues to happen, then I might consider switching. Yes, all kids do hit at some point, but most kids dont have a chronic problem. How does your child feel when shes hit? Does she cower down and cry or walk away? or does she hit back? Its not always bad to hit back. It wouldnt be my first response, but at some point this child will be hit back by someone. Sounds like they are looking for power. It could be this child is bullied at home or something so when they are out on their own in daycare, they find someone weaker and more mild mannered than them. Sorry youre going through this. Ive been there.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well if it is continuing I would talk to the day care provider. Just because kids may hit doesn't make it right. They need to let children know it's not OK to hit each other. If you talk and nothing seems to change, yes change providers. Your daughter shouldn't have to go to day care on a daily basis getting hit. No one should have to deal with it. It's not right and it's not OK. It only gets worse if we as parents do nothing about it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That happened to my son at a daycare, he seemed to be the target of the daily beat down and this was when he was about a year old. There was the "class bully" that would beat the other children in the room. The odd thing was when my son got hit he wouldn't cry. He just had enough one day and that same kid came to pounce on him and my son knocked him in the back of the head with a big chunky lego. The bully went off crying and my son got up and went to play alone in the corner. Never cried or batted an eye. The teachers told me about it when I came to get him and I wondered why they were all laughing and cheering, my son beat up the bully. I'm glad my son stood up for himself. I didn't know it was that bad till the day my son "ended" the fights.

Always voice your concerns. I would be upset too if I were you. If it isn't corrected then move your daughter to a new school.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well sometimes when your vocabulary is limited and you don't have the words to use some kids hit out of frustration. Now I'm not condoning the hitting. If it's an occassional thing I wouldn't worry too much. However if your child is the one being the main target and it's a daily thing or even a weekly occurance say something to the provider and if it doesn't change start looking for different care and let her know your child is leaving do to the hitting.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter had a boy that was mean to her every time we got together for play date, he bite her once adn the last time he hit her.... his mom and I really like each other but he is mean and so I don't want my daughter around him. He almost pierced her eyebrow! Anyways, we keep trying every 6 months or so but he is still mean to her so... I wouldn't allow my daughter to be bullied/hit/bit by another child, yes, kids hit but I am not going to let them KEEP hitting her on a repeat basis, once is okay, two times is not okay, three times I am looking to move to a new provider! Hitting is never okay and to keep them there I think shows it is. I would talk to the provider but if the kid is mean and aggressive from home, they will have some work to do, but if kept happening I would move my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Talk to the daycare provider.. It could very well be that there is a kid being a bully to your child but also keep in mind she is only 3. Things can so easily get thrown out of proportion at that age. There have been times where my son (Who is 4) won't get his way or can't get a toy or something from another kid and we will come up to me and say "Mommy so and so hit me".. I've also seen this with many other kids. So talk to the provider before you make any split decisions. She may not realize this is going on and be willing to put a stop to it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2009