I've just gotten a bill for $40 because I pay my rent after the 5th. Should I pay this late payment fee?

They cashed my check on July 12, 2009

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I wouln't pay it you should have a grace period and i get tired of these landlords bleeding people dry right now everyone is having hard times!! so no you should not pay it!! "

You do realize that the rent that people pay, pays the mortgage for the landlord. If everyone is late for their rent, the mortgage doesn't get paid in many instances. I'm tired of my renters not paying their rent on time! I'm sure you are one of them. Landlords are having just a hard a time as anyone else! Grow up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• LOL... Are you serious? If your lease states after the 5th then you are late.... And you SIGNED the lease that makes you well, what's the word.... RESPONSIBLE for payment by the date.... Hello?!?!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If you gave them the check before the 5th and they just waited til the 12th to cash it, then no you shouldn't. BUT if you gave them the check after the 5th then yes, you knew that was the consequence to paying late as stated in the lease you signed so you are responsible to either get your check to them on time or pay the late fee.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If your lease states that you have a late payment fee then yes you need to pay it. If you don't your landlord legally has the right to start eviction proceedings for the $40. It doesn't matter when they cashed the check. What matters is when they received it and this can be hard to prove. Our lease states that rent is due on the 1st and if received after the 3rd a $35 late fee is charged.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• you should pay the fee if you want to continue living there. responsibility, really is a lost art nowadays, isn't it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i agree with them all.. if i didn't pay my mortgage payment on time and didn't pay my late fee.. id be living on the streets! same with all my utilities.. and if you know its going to be late.. pay it earlier pay it with the paycheck prior to the due date, i always pay my bills the paycheck before they are even due
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Anywhere I have ever lived, all of the landlords always required a late fee, and it's always in the lease. The 5th is normally the deadline for rent without a late charge.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Check your lease. If it's there you can be tossed out on your arse if you don't pay it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why wouldn't you pay a late fee for a bill you paid late? I swear I am so sick of people with the attitude of "Oh, that doesn't apply to ME..." **shakes head**
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Did you give them the payment before the 5th? If so, you need to talk to them. You shouldn't have to pay the late fee.

But if you gave them the payment after the 5th and it states in your lease that you will be assessed a late charge, then you need to pay the $40. If paying it is going to be a problem, you might be able to work something out and pay them next pay period.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2009