DH and spending

My husband is a financial idiot. He is unemployed, but I make enought to cover basic expenses. Yesterday, I sent him out to buy vacuum bags. We have a Kirby, so they aren't cheap. He came back with $70 worth of bags. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• If the bags were a lot cheaper per bag if he bought $70 worth, then it would take some thinking. Perhaps you could say that you realize that it was a good deal, but that when money is tight you have to pay more per item since you can't afford a major pay out of money to get the better buy. Another scenario would be if it is a long drive to get an item and buying several would save the cost of gas.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Nope; there wasn't a deal to save money by buying more. He said he wanted to buy enough to last us so we don't run out and he would have to get them. One pack of vacuum bags will probably last us until Christmas, so I think what he bought is a year's worth. T he store that carries them is across town, but we go to that part of town from time to time anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• seriously, this is his way of telling you he doesn't want to run that errand for you again any time soon. if you want him to run that errand then you have to be satisfied with what he comes back with. if you are not satisfied then you need to run the errand yourself.
    and i think that is what his objective here was.
    tell him, thankyou for stocking up because that leaves time for him to run MORE errands for you and watch his response.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You opened yourself up for that if you didn't get VERY SPECIFIC about how many to buy. I know that my hubby needs an exact list of what brand, what size, the price, and HIS SPENDING LIMIT or else he'll really blow it. He went to buy oil, just OIL, for his car a couple of weeks ago and spend twice as much on SNACKS (cookies, snack crackers, soda) than he did on oil!

Personally I'd keep the bags and plan on not buying anymore for a while. He made the effort, I'd say "thank you" and let it go. Next time be extremely specific and only give him enough cash for however many bags you want.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with Michiganmom - my husband is the same way. I have to be very specific about what he needs to be buying. I don't necessarily have to tell him how much to spend, but I do have to tell him exactly what it is he's to buy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009