why does she do this??

ok my 8 month old crawls everywhere and stands up holding on to the couch and that.. well every time she falls on her butt or tumbles over she cries like shes getting murdered, she never used to do it now if shes sitting up and tumbles she cries, i know it doesn't hurt her so why is she crying all the time over it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter cries sometimes when she falls too and never used to but it usually means she's just tired and having a bad day. I usually just pick her up and sit her on my lap & read books and then try to get an extra nap in or something. Have you moved her arm & legs to make sure something doesn't hurt on her? Or maybe she fell on something once and is bruised and that keeps hurting her whenever she falls again? Just a thought, ask your dr. at her 9 mo. checkup.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 8:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• not sure but don't freak out! LOL I know it's hard not to pick her up when she does this but resist the urge! I mean if she hits herself and is bleeding that's a different story but if she just plops down and starts crying like that then calmly tell her that she's ok and to try again....She can probably pick up on your anxiety as well so just try to stay calm!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She's probably frustrated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with anon. She's probably getting frustrated that she can't do it without falling.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with mominbolt. I think that they pick up more on our reactions than we realize. If we act like everything is still okay, then they soon copy unless something is really wrong.
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 10:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• sounds like frustration (you know how we get when we can't do something right despite trying repeatedly....occasionally the bad word pops out? lol)

but don't over react, just calmly tell her to get up and try again. positive encouragement rather than running in a panic.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2009