My 16 month old keeps getting ear infections and he went to see a specialist and they advised he get tubes put in. Does anyone know anything about this?

chelsey1

Asked by chelsey1 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh boy do i know about it!!!! First hand. when i was a baby, my mom said i had 13 ear infections within the first yr of my life. Almost every year after that i had several ear inf. in a year. I remember when i was about 6 and my mom rocking me while i was screaming. I had tubes after that and did not have another ear infection untl i was 20, my ear did not clear so i had to have a tube again. I have not had an inf. since i was 20. I am now in my 30's. It's up to you whether you have tubes put in, but i would take it into consideration for relief for your child!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter had tubes put in when she was 17 months, due to reoccuring ear infections. SHe is now 4 and we haven't dealt with an ear infection since.

The sugery itself is pretty easy. When they did my DD's we went into the hospital's pre surgery area. Once back there we put the gown on her and went through most of the pre surgery questions. Then they gave her something to drink which had sleepy meds in it, that way she would go to sleep before giving the IV for surgery. Once everything was ready to go she went back to the OR and about 45 minutes later the Dr came out and said all went well and we went to the recovery room with her. She was sleepy for most of the day, but was back to her she the very next day and you couldn't even tell she had anything done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my niece recently had tubes put in her ears. So far she is doing good. Don't know much about it all though... sorry!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter had them put in at two. It's an outpatient procedure. You'll go to the hosp, they will probably dope up the child with "happy juice" to take the edge off and so they don't freak out when you leave. Then they will do all the stuff they need to such as knocking out, cutting hole in ear and inserting tube. It takes about 15 minutes. Then you sit with your kid while he/she wakes up drinks and then go home. It wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. My daughter also had her adenoids removed so I got soft foods for her to eat. She didn't want 'em! Lots of tylenol and love the next day or two and they are right back to normal. So far, it's been 2.5 months and no ear infections or constant runny noses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• THe only thing that bothered me was dd wasn't allowed to eat or drink before hand. Then in the play area/waiting room, they had toy food! My poor kid was trying to eat the plastic food!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Both of my sons had tubes. My oldest had them three times - he still has fluid in his ear, but they said if they did the tubes again he could have permanent hearing loss due to buildup of scar tissue. But it's fairly simply and very quick - I was surprised the first time, it seemed like they had barely taken him back before they were coming to take me to the recovery room!

Answer by missanc at 10:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The procedure is quick and simple. My daughter had her tubes put in when she was a year old. Shes now 2 1/2 and she hasnt had an ear infection since. Its a great thing to do for your child. They can swim and everything in them. (I remember the doctor said dont let them play in muddy water.)
    Sierra_Mistress

Answer by Sierra_Mistress at 11:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i dont think anyone mentioned that after the tubes are put in, they fall out on their own.. but that could take anywhere from a month to a couple years..
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• There was discussion of putting tubes in my first daughter's ears after two infections. Ridiculous. I found a new pediatrician, who suggested chiropractic card. Whether you like it or not, they can explain why it works for ears, and it makes sense. Basically, they press, not yank, but press a spot on the neck and it shifts a bone in the ear, allowing the ear to drain. Which is what tubes do. My daughter has never had another ear infection. I think it's worth looking into if you are considering surgery. I'd rather have someone press the side of my kid's neck than have to consider surgery!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• *chiropractic care, not card. Ooops
    apexmommy