3 Year Old Nightmares

My 3 year old daughter has developed an extreme fear of the dark. She says she's afraid to go to sleep and "sees monsters everywhere." She wakes up screaming and when I go in her room she has her head buried in her hands or pillow. We've tried everything - nightlights, keeping the hall light on, removing scarey looking items, praying, reading happy stories, talking to her before bed, sitting with her, even "spraying" the room with special "monster spray" that makes the monsters go away. Nothing is working. Any advice?

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old went through that phase too. We tried it all but nothing seemed to work. Lucky it only lasted about 2 weeks. Keep trying to say a prayer every night. I think we also told ours that Jesus watches over us so he protects us from everything.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well I will tell you, but I am not sure you're willing to listen. You need to ask Archangel Michael to step in. Ask Michael to clear the room of all negative energy and bad spirits. Then ask him to watch over her and keep the bad dreams and nightmares away and let her have only good dreams. Have you tried telling her that since she can't see in the dark nothing will be able to see her either? That worked with mine. She's three this is the age when they start seeing things on the other side. If she doesn't want to see she need only ask her guardian to keep it concealed. Try not to dismiss it as imagination, because to her it's very real. Good luck!! Don't forget Archangel Michael. Angels are of god to assist him, so please do not see it as "angel worship".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I told my daughter that monsters are NOT real, they are pretend adn that it is your imagination that makes them scary. I also got the Berenstien Bears book abotu being afraid of the dark and then after we read the book I got a flashlight and asked her what looked scary to her, she said she saw a man's face on the ceiling, it was the shawdow of the lamp, so I grabbed the lampshade with my hand and wiggled it and showed her what it was, then she showed me another one, which was the fan shawdow, then I let her play with the flashlight and to show her that everything in the dark is EXACTLY like it is in the day!! And then I told her to ask Jesus to watch over her dreams, which she does every night, becasue He is always with us..... and I told her that the only reason moster was the tickle monster and then I tickled her .. she hasn't had any bad dreams and she even told her good night doll not to be scaried, they are just shadow!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2009