Labor

I was reading that some women poop when delievering. has this happen to you? and how likely is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it is very common, however I was unaware if I did do it! But please know these nurses have seen it all! And they are aware that this happens and they don't think anything "bad" about you or do they treat you any different! Crazily enough I enjoyed my birthing experience. Please don't focus on this...there is so many other things you could be concerned with!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think a lot of women do. When I was pregnant with my first I was worried about it and told my husband how embarsing I thought it would be to poop while pushing out the baby and it turns out that would have been less embrassing then what happened becasue after I gave birth to my daughter my husband looked at me and said " hey you didnt poop!" I was like OMG did he just announce that. I told him when I have our son in like 6 weeks that he doesnt need to announce if I poop or not. But yeah dont worry about it, if you do poo you wont notice and the nurses and dr dont care.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I did with my second, I pooed while I was pushing. It really wasn't a big deal, the Dr and nurses just cleaned it up and I went on pushing to get my baby out. They've seen it before and they'll see it again after you, so try not to stress about it. The baby puts a lot of pressure on your bowels, so it's really no surprise that it happens.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• pretty sure I did with all three. when you push its basically like having the biggest bowel movement ever. which is why many end up with hemmoroids (sp?)

I know I did with the first - nurse came over and gave a wipe. but then there's blood and amniotic fluid flowing too so ..... its a pretty messy business.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My midwife said that 8 out of 10 woman poop during labor... no big deal:) I was induced both times and wasnt allowed to eat for a while before labor so I, fortunately, had nothing in my to poop out!

When you push, you are pushing like you are trying to go to the bathroom so if there is anything in there, it is physically impossible for you to push the baby out without going to the bathroom

I would tell you that you wont think about it when you are pushing but in my case that wasnt true! I was SOOO afraid of pooping that I had the midwife keep a towel over my butt the whole time!! But out of the 6 woman that I have seen poop during labor, only 1 of them realized they were doing it! Your OB/midwife will wipe the poop away as it comes out and it will be no big deal, really:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009