At what age did you let your child take a bath with out you in the room?

I have a 4 year old and I was thinking that she is getting old enough to take a bath with out me or my hubby in the bathroom. What age did you let your child bath by them selves?

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 9:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• When they are old enough to clean them selves with out assistance.

Answer by louise2 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i think she had just turned 4. I would just listen, she loves to sing & gab to herself in the tub, if i did not hear her for a few seconds i would check on her. You can always keep a baby monitor in there too, i did not have one because my house was small enough that i could hear her from every room. But my friend will put the video monitor up & watch her while she is in the tub. Her daughter is 6.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My older 3 always bathed together and when I could trust the youngest they started bathing without me in the room. They were 3 1/2, 4 1/2 and 6.
    My youngest is 3 and takes showers without me even knowing because she jumps in after one of her siblings gets out. They usually help her. None of them take baths now because our tub is broken.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 7, and it was shower, not a bath.

There is still a drowning risk at 4

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Let her do it. I would do a quick "check to make sure you didn't miss anything" and let her go at it. That's how they learn.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my oldest son is 7 and i let him bathe alone, but i leave the door open,and like jesse said, do a check to make sure they actually wash what they're supposed to.
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my step daughter is 5 and we started letting her be in there by herself just before she turned 5 and she would call us when she was ready to get cleaned up...lately we have started letting her bathe herself and just before she gets out we make sure she has cleaned everything....so I guess I would say a good age is 5
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I let my 3 boys who will be 3 in November take a bath while I am right on the other side of the door folding clothes. I can still see them in the mirror, but never let them know that, they just think I have eyes in the back of my head. They wash and let me know when they are done, I come in and do the smell check. If anything goes wrong, one will always taddle. " Momma, Trevor didn't wash his toe cheese". They know if they mess up then it's fully supervised baths from here on out.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009