How do you get your baby sleep through the night?

Or at least get a good night sleep. My 10 month old is so restless, he tosses and turns and kicks and we get no sleep. He will go down in his own bed (which is in my room) and the first time he wakes he will not go back down(he cries and screams) so he comes to my bed because I have two other children that need to sleep. But in my bed he squirms all night. I have tried baths, lavander, bottle of water, paci, foot rub, let him cry himself to sleep. Is there any suggestions you have for me, I really need some rest (I work full time).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can u sleep somewhere else while he's in ur bed?
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I have a six month old that sleeps soundlessly through the night. But it was not always like that. I have this routine with her and i hope it helps... First we have our bath the lavender stuff helps. then i give her a bottle with pablum in it. I only put about 2 tbsps in it but it gives her a full tummy and she sleeps right through til morning. (8:- 8:30 am) Hope this helps.. other things you might want to try is a lightly steeped camomile tea it calmes babies tummy and helps sooth them to sleep. Good luck!!
    StephStephSteph

Answer by StephStephSteph at 10:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I could but that leaves my husband (who works more than me) with a restless baby, I usually put myself between them so my hubby is not getting kick and hit.
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 10:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Is he taking his naps the way he's suppose to? I was having problems getting my daughter to go to sleep until about 9 months. She wasn't taking her naps which was making her restless at night. I started giving her two short naps or one long nap (about 1 1/2-2 hours) and she was in bed by 8 and wouldnt wake up at all until the morning. Good luck.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Put his crib in another room, offer a blanket for comfort (my daughter is restless unless she has a blanket to cuddle with) and have a good night time routine (bath, read books, sing songs, say prayers, etc.) that you practice with him every night- no exceptions. Don't put him in your bed... it's only saying to your child that whenever he wakes up he gets to sleep with mommy and daddy. Even if you have to rock him to sleep (if you're apposed to cio) then that's better than letting him sleep with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Is there another room you can put his crib in? If he wakes and sees you laying there, it makes sense that he would cry until you put him in bed with you - it's warmer there and he gets comforted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My 4-month-old has just started sleeping through the night. We used to feed her and then put her in a swing to sleep and that worked well but we didn't want her to get too used to it so one day, we just kept her up for a long time with-out naps. She would start to get cranky but we would just hold her and shush and help her stay calm. She was so tired at bedtime! She would cry for a minute and then fall asleep! For bedtime we tell her about her day, brush her gums, turn off the lights and put her in her crib. Then we turn on nature sounds; she usually stops crying if she's even started. We encourage her to suck her thumb at this age because she sleeps like 2 more hours if she does!! I think the problem may be that none of your methods are wrong, but since they have changed so many times, he doesn't get into a routine. Make sure he's tired and full and be consistent. Hopefully he gets into the habit soon!
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 10:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2009