How can I lock the door? Or make it to where no one can go in?

My landlord is coming over to fix some things today, and he is EXTREMELY nosy. Last time he came to fix something, he only NEEDED to be in the living room, but he found an excuse to go into every single room in the house (to check up on my housekeeping I guess??). Well, I asked him politely not to go into the bedrooms, but he did anyways. Today he is coming over again to fix our shower and AC, and this time I am locking the bedroom doors, because I haven't been able to clean the bedrooms the last few days. But one of the doors don't lock and it's the WORST room. My husband picked up a stray cat and kept him in there until we could find a home for him, which never happened, so he lived in there for about a month. I took him to a shelter this morning, but I can't let the landlord see the mess in there (this cat DESTROYED the room) and we're not allowed to have animals. He'll be over here in a few minutes and I need to ... CTN'D

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 10:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• party...chain lock u can get them at walmart...u can get any lock at wal mart check them out.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• know how I can rig something up to lock the door, because obviously ASKING doesn't help anything. We'll get evicted if he sees this. The lock doesn't work on the door. Help??
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The landlord has every right to go through the home. Sucks I know but you are renting his property. He has every right to come in to fix things or inspect them after giving you notice.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Oh, also I need to know because we're having a party in a couple of wks, and I don't want anyone in the back of the house except for the bathroom. And we don't have any kind of "inspection" clause in our lease. Actually we don't even have a lease, because he's an old country man, so we have a "verbal contract". The only thing we agreed on was that I pay the rent, and he fixes what's broke. The end.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well since you don't have anything in writing, saying he doesn't have the right, its his property so he has every right to do whatever he wants in the home as long. even more so since there is nothing in writing to protect you from his snooping around.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• a large gate u get them at walmart my landlord hates them lol and he cant get over it its to big, also u can try a big stick or piece of wood to put between door handle and floor and come up xcuse why...( if u have kids its to keep them out ) other then that i dont know sorry..my landlord did that too when i first moved in he had to look at bathroom door and proceeded to look around in the rooms to see how i was coming along as he put it..i also said my dd is sleeping and sure enough he went in her room scred the crap out of her..." he didnt know she was in there" even though i just said it 3 times shes sleeping...sorry couldnt help much good luck...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• lilbit is right. you knew you weren't supposed to have any animals because of the very reason you just described, unfortunately. also, you already know that he will go into all the rooms, and you know when to expect him, so you should have made time to get the rooms in decent condition. and if it's a rental, you probably aren't allowed to rig up anything to keep the door locked without his consent anyway.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Ok let's forget the landlord. That wasn't my point. Regardless of if my house is a wreck or not, how can I lock the door for the party? I mean, 20 drunk people aren't gonna listen to "don't go in the bedrooms"....
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• do u have our lanlord?? lol.. we have a lease but hes a country man/farmer..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• move teh door handle from a clean room to the dirty room and let the clean room be the one that he sees. Also, request he fix the lock since you use it as a "child saftety" feature to keep the kids where you can see them.

PS legally, the contract should be in writing for your safety and his.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009