My baby HATES tummy time! Help!

I hate making him do this and I can only get him to do it for 5mins at the most. In these 5 mins he gets so upset cries screams. He gets so upset he starts choking and turning red. He is 3 months old. What am I to do? Just how importanat is this tummy time? He is developing fine and is not on his back all day. He gets held and played with and stuff.
Thanks. This situation has me a little stressed.

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tummy time helps them learn to lift their heads, roll over, eventually crawl, it encourages the development of the muscles needed to do all those things, so it is important. but its also important to only do as long as they will stand. so maybe put him on his tummy for 2 or 3 mins when he gets really fussy play with him a different way, and a few hours later try again. when he is on the floor get down there with him on your tummy and talk to him try to distract him w/toys etc...my son hates it, he's 2 months and i leave him on his tummy for about 5 mins then play with something else, we do that about 4 times a day. with my daughter she hated it til she was about 2 months and after that would rather be on her tummy.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It's not important enough for him to spend time crying if it really upsets him. My son didn't really like tummy time at first either. I would lay on my back and put him tummy down on my shins and play with him like that. After a while I would lay him on his tummy and lay on my tummy across from him and play. Those two things helped me get my son used to it. He will eventually get to where it doesn't bother him, particularly when he can roll both ways and get in the position he likes best. I wouldn't stress about it.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my son hated tummy time too. But I just would play with him while he was on his tummy. Sometimes I'd get a min out of him on his tummy and then sometimes 5 to 10 min. Just keep working with your LO. Its very important to have tummy time as the poster above me stated. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter was the exact same way.....believe me...they don't really need to do "tummy time" He wil do it when he is ready...you can do tummy to tummy...laying on you. Other than that he will grow out of it. My daughter didn't do it til almost 6 months when she started rolling from one side of the house to the other. She wouls just end up there and loves it now....
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my oldest HATED tummy time with a passion. it got so bad that I didn't even bother.

once she started rolling over and moving around she got used to it, still hated it but learned to deal. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter hated it at 3 months and then at 4 months, LOVEDDD IT!!! I actually have the reverse problem because now when I put her on her back to sleep, she rolls onto her tummy and I have to roll her back and tell her "It's safer like this." I would put her on her tummy before but I didn't push it too too much for fear of making her like it even less. It really just suddenly changed in her like it was just time or something. I hope this happens for you, too!
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 10:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my DD hated tummy time we only did it once a day for maybe 5 minutes now she LOVES it well loves sitting more now lol but people said oh she will be slow to develop well at 6 months she was crawling and at 7 months standing up so do what works for you they come around on their time
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son hated Tummy time! For the longest time I could only get him to do it for a minute or less.I try now to do it when he's the most awake and play with him while he does it. Most of the time I can get 10mins. He's 2mths,it just takes time. Figure out when he's in the mood most to play and just keep trying everyday through out the day. Good Luck.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My second daughter hated tummy time as well. She would only do it for VERY small amounts of time & not oftne at all, and she is just fine.
    MommyKelley04

Answer by MommyKelley04 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2009