Does anyone know a way to take children to visit/volunteer in a 3rd world country?

I saw a question in a poll that got me thinking...I really want to take my kids to see a 3rd world country one day. I think we would grow so much from seeing a place like that and volunteering to help out in some way for a few weeks. I would love to learn about another culture and to show my kids how fortunate we are. I know there's Peace Core, but you have to go for 2 years and can't take children. I would want to do this over a summer. Do any of you know of any programs like this?

iamhome

Asked by iamhome at 10:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Travel

• Oh good grief.... come on people... the OP obviously wants to go to a Third World country for a reason... it is MUCH different than in a "poor" area of the US. Period. Obviously some of you have zero clue at all about other cultures and how fortunate our poor are compared to the ones in other parts of the world.
    OP- you can always contact the Half the Sky organization in China and possibly be able to work in an orphanage over a summer with your children. There are many people that have done it before.
    www.halfthesky.org
    They work to provide clean water, blankets, formula, surgeries, etc for abandoned children in orphanages in China.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 1:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• With all the political turmoil and piracy going on in third world countries, I don't believe that this is a good idea.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Call Save The Children? How about volunteering here in our country for the poor, Habitat For Humanity could use volunteers. A huge amount of churches are really really big, too, on US volunteers in this country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I also volunteer here. I really think this would be an important part of helping children develop a greater understanding of the situation then just lecturing about it and I want to go with a group in order to make it safer and to have a plan. I wish we could go on "Exiled" without being selfish people!!!
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 11:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• There are many different cultures here in the US. There are parts of towns where you can show them what happens if you drop out of school, start using drugs or even show them some positives stuff. Like fancy houses, tell them this is what they could have if they stay in school. You really don't have to leave the country and jeopardize the safety of your children.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I would start with a domestic program, like Habitat for Humanity; you will spend a lot less money on travel (you may even find a project in your town), so you will be able to help many more people

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Oprah has some organization what is connected to her Angel Network. Kids are going to Africa to build wells for people there. It is a wonderful program. Maybe you will get more info on her web-site.
    It is good thing for kids to see real life situations and how people live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Op i think that is a great idea. I can speak from experience. My parents toke us to live in Africa for 5 years. It was an eye opener. Everything that we toke for granted we appreciated over there. When we came back we were more grateful for what we have because people have it really hard in some countries. I say GO FOR IT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Help some people in our country!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009