If you don't believe in the bible, who do you think wrote it and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think lots of different people wrote the parts they wrote for lots of different reasons that each individual thought was right.
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 10:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• someone who found some psychedelic mushrooms or something and lived in a time when science could not explain why things work the way they do.

:)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yep, written by different people and constructed as a story as a way to scare people into behaving. No greater deterrent for bad behavior than eternally burning in Hell. Personally, I think some of the ideas are a bit ridiculous, but I do not judge people who believe in God, just as I would expect them to not judge me for not. All in all, it is a good idea, but only to me as a story. There may have been an actual man named Jesus who roamed this earth, but as for the resurrection, if in fact it did occur, I think it can be explained scientifically. I think some people need something to help guide them through this life and to feel that there is something waiting for them when they die.
    I could keep going, but I will not.
    Peace be with all of us.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well, for one thing, it wasn't all written at the same time by the same person and then sent off to a publisher for distribution where it was bound in leather binding and placed on a shelf in Borders. Most of it was stories passed down orally and THEN written down years after the fact. A council sat around and deliberated on which books they though deserved to be included, they were translated to death, mushed together and pronounced the word of God and so it was forever and ever amen.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Christianity first was invented after the fall of the Roman Empire (during the Dark Ages) to restore order. Superstition was prevelant during these times. Then Contantine the Great proclaimed Christian tolerance (Best known for being the first Christian Roman emperor). Then Apostle Paul wrote the new testament. All of these people are considered saints by Christianity, but you need to be a Christian to thinks so. If not, they are just people, just like Jesus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I really think there may be some truth to the bible. But, like any good story, it's exagerated. For example, do i beieve a man named Jesus existed, sure. Do i belive he made water into wine, nope. I believe he was probably a great motivational speaker and someone made a story. Why? I think along the way, a lot of people had a lot of different reasons for writing things.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• metalcowgirl.. LOL

thats what i was going to say.. it was diff ppl and it has been written so many times who knows what is true by now..

or even if it is even true.. hummmm....
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Arlie.....LOL. I do agree it was several people. This is why so many of the texts had to be taken out so the bible would "make sense" (not like it does now...).

Things like donkeys and snakes DO talk when someone's on acid..............I'm just saying. :D
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I see it as a culmination of many stories written and rewritten over a long period of time. There are many historical people and places it (prob) correctly records, like the pharohs and Caesers. And there are legends and fantasies throughout to prove God's awesome power.

The majority of people up to a few centuries ago were illiterate, and so it was up to the synagogues and churches to tell them what to believe. They also were the publishers, using scribes to handwrite copies before printing presses. So politics, superstitions, recruitment, oppression, and many other factors determined what was included in these stories and what would be left out.

Way too many hands in the pot to verify its legitimacy.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think many wrote it and rewrote it to suit their purposes.
    I think it was written many years after Jesus was even around so its hard to know for sure what they did or didnt add to the story.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009