Why Do You Lose Friends When They Begin to Think That You Are More Successful in Life Than They Are?

Your character hasn't changed, you still act the same, but your friend list is shrinking as time goes by. The more you succeed, the smaller the friend list becomes.

HisMomsADiva

Asked by HisMomsADiva at 10:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• This was another answer I received from an outside source.
    One thing is if your life is on track, from their perspective. If their life is not worth much to them, they don’t have a job or a good job no solid relationship kids getting on their nerves with no man in the picture no father for their kids their mind is scattered. You represent a life they want but think they can’t have due to choices they made. Every time you elevate in life and get to the next level people that are in your life that’s stagnant will fall off. Especially if they’re not doing anything to advance. These were your friends, you advanced, they didn’t people don’t like the reality of themselves. Their mind has not excepted the choices so they can begin to make changes. They don’t understand you anymore because you evolved and they didn’t. I know it’s hard but try not to be upset by it. It’s life cycle
    HisMomsADiva

Answer by HisMomsADiva at 12:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• LOL, I never have to worry about that! I never talk or show my success

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Success is really trippy. I am fairly achieved, but it took a long while. Nothing to be jealous about b/c I've paid the price. And, sometimes I wonder how others get their gigs so quickly. I could possibly put a stupid sign on my forehead and it would be accurate. Success comes and goes with vengeance.

From my observation, those who "earned" instead of being "given" don't have many friends. Reason why, we've isolated ourselves in a ten inch thick bubble, and many times without oxygen (seems). So were a bit twisted in the head in some respects.

Reason why I'm on CafeMom, I fell in love with a man last year and wanted a baby from him. Not too much later, our "jobs" tore us apart. I was left with baby fever and heart break for a long while. Since then, I’ve recovered mostly, but hooked on CafeMom.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't talk about my success, brag, nor boast. I'm very humble. I don't let people know what I have or my future plans. I'm accomplished to a certain extent, but not successful in my eyes, that's why I said they 'think" that I am.

I don't cry about my woes, failures, and struggles either. So no one really knows. They only go by what they see.
    HisMomsADiva

Answer by HisMomsADiva at 11:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• So why the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Because I felt like asking it.
    HisMomsADiva

Answer by HisMomsADiva at 11:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think in some cases, people have a hard time being happy for other people because it reminds them of what they don't have or haven't accomplished yet, regardless of having it thrust in their face or not.

My DH and I have talked about this a lot actually! We are by no means "well off" but he makes enough money so that I can stay home with our son(and soon to be new baby), we rent(not own) a nice place in a nice neighborhood and always have food in our fridge and gas in our cars.

We have friends who struggle at their minimum wage jobs and some that have a hard time keeping a job. We get a lot of "Must be nice." type statements from them which is pretty irritating.

My DH works really hard to provide everything for us and they make it seem like we just get things handed to us.

Too many people wait for things to happen for them and when it doesn't, they get disgruntled and feel sorry for themselves.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Because they are insecure with themselves. It's not you, it's them. Misery loves company, if you aren't they move on to whoever is. Fuck'em!!!!
    SiriSilasMom

Answer by SiriSilasMom at 11:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• They discussed this on Oprah yesterday. I lost a lot of friends when DH and I were building our house. I usually never talk about stuff like this because people think I'm gloating, but my house is rather large, 10k sq ft. We built large in fear of another hurricane displacing ALL of our family and them living with us again until they got back on their feet and DH entertains his business people. My friends became inferior and jealous of my lifestyle although nothing had changed about me, but they never complained when I paid for our luncheons. They talked smack behind my back calling me a rich snob, and it really hurt my effing feelings. I let them hold their kids b-day parties at my house, baby & bridal showers and this is how I was treated. I don't measure success on physical items or money, but some people do and it makes them feel inferior. They became angry when I wouldn't share business ideas with them.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009