I'm freaking out this morning! !

O.k. so I'm due with my second this Dec... I've been worrying about how I'll beable to care for this one like Ido my first. I mean I already love this baby, but how can that amount to my son's love? Does the love even compare? Am I just being silly?
I don't ever want to show favoritism with my children. Do you love one child more then the other? I'm starting to think it doesn't compare, but I'm still worried...

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• felt the same way once it became more 'real' that #2 was only weeks away.

totally normal.

but once she was born I felt an equal love for both. both I love for different reasons but still the same. and its the same with #3.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OMG i can't belive you are having those feelings, my son is 7 months and i don't think i can have another cause i am afraid that i won't love it as much as i do my first. When people ask me when i'm gonna have another and they here my reasons why i might not they tell me i'm crazy. But i love my son and our one on one time so not sure how adding another would be. I wouldn't have enough time for either of them.So i know how you are feeling. Glad i'm not the only one. But you are already expecting #2. I am sure though once you hold that baby you will love it just as much. Congrats and good luck.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When you have a child you love that child more than you could have ever imagined. A love like you've never felt before! Then when you get pregnant with a 2nd child, you can't imagine loving again like you do with the first one, the love is just so overwhelming, and all-consumming! But, somehow it happens, your second child is born and you look into their eyes and you feel all that same love all over again. It's amazing! Somehow us moms have an unlimited amount of love when it comes to our kids.

So don't worry, you will love this second child as much as you love your first.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I read this somewhere once and really liked it:
    A woman asks a mom who has 5 kids, "how do you divide your love among 5 kids?" The mother replied, "I don't divide it, I multiply it."

You'll be fine! Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think this is a common fear when people have more than one child. I know my brother always said he never wanted another child because he couldn't see himself loving another as much as he loves his first son well you know what his new son is now a week old and he couldn't love either one of his boys any more than he does. Just within the week that the new baby has been here he said his love has multiplied (as another mama said, perfect way of putting it!) so much more than he could ever imagine. I too worry about this but I know from seeing my brother that having more children doesn't mean you can't love your first just as much once the new baby is born and you can't love your new baby any less than you love your first. Of course the love may be somewhat different but you still love them all the same.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009