Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can you do to help an adult child with a drug problem

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (11)
  • Honestly there's not much you can do. My brother is a (hopefully) recovering addict...we're never sure. For years my family helped him out, paid his bills, put him in rehab time and time again yet he kept slipping further and further away.

    My sil called me asking for was out of money, he had no insurance and needed to find a halfway house. As I was calling around many of the places told me...look I can give you info and numbers for HIM to call, but its up to him. They told me I needed to let go and let him handle his own problems....make his problem HIS again, b/c he'd never get better until HE chose to.

    As far as we know he's been clean 3 months now and I did exactly as told...I handed him a list of numbers...told him I loved him and would support him...but the choice was in his hands.

    Good've got a long road ahead of you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • Put them in rehab if they see they have a problem and want help. If they dont, there is little you can do because they are an adult, you can not give them money, a place to stay, rides here or there, etc.. As long as you are doing those types of things you are an enabler, most adults must hit rock bottom before getting help on their own. Hitting rock bottom can mean loosing everything, car, home, kids, friends and family. I had to do it with my sister and pray she survived long enough to get help on her own, well she did and a year after kicking her out of my house she was clean and wrote me a thank you letter. It was hard and I still worried but I did everything in my power to help until I just had to let her go...

    Answer by midnightmoma at 11:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • I was addicted to meth in my child and early adult life. I am now 31 and clean. It took a major life changing experience to stop using. I got pregnant. If this person does not want to stop using, guess what, they wont. Change their life for them. Kick them out or you can even go as far as getting restraining orders on their friends. Block their numbers from your phones, invest in a safe for your valuables, Talk to them calmly. If you feel yourself getting angry during your talk walk away. You will say things you regret and you will push them away from reality. They need to face reality. I know it seems like a lot of work but overcoming an addiction isn't easy. They will wake up one day

    Answer by busymom1107 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • Ya, just put them in rehab, hahahaha! Have any idea how much those cost honey? And they don't "just "Take" someone in unwillingly! Not much you can do but cut off the gravy train and change your number and locks! My nephew went through this too with heroin, crack, cocaine, "huffing", the list goes on and on and on!

    Answer by Starfire73 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • There's nothing you can can't put a grown man into rehab because its his choice not was his choice to do drugs and it will take his will power to get off drugs...I know its hurting for you to see your child go through this addiction but it is what it is, therefore you've got to let go and allow him to lead his own life...its hard like I"ve said but if you're constantly there to pick up his pieces, he'll never hit rock bottom...once he hits rock bottom, he'll pick himself up...

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

  • Start doing some research on the Internet about common Vitamin Deficiencies in Drug Addicts.

    Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • Sadly there's not alot you can do if they are an adult. It has to be their decision to make to clean up. The one thing you don't want to do is enable them. Never ever give them money, or bail them out of the messes they get into because of their drug habit, and that may include not even providing a place to live. It's hard, especially when it's your child, but if you enable them, they will never hit rock bottom and realize they need help. Depending on the age of the adult child, if they are not seeking help because of cost, check into teen challenge. It's not for teens so much anymore, and it's an awsome program that will help them clean up, and become productive memebers of society, if they want the help. Good luck.

    Answer by txmom-o-3 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • well you have to give them tough love do not give them money if they dont seek help cut them off and dont leave them in your home let them stand on there feet

    Answer by SWEETLOU442 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Crisis Intervention. Have friends/close family members get together to confront the person about the issue at hand. Make sure it stays calm and isn't a matter of forcing them to do anything. More of a..this is getting out of control, we care about and love you and don't want to see you get hurt. Give them some numbers for clinics and programs they can call for help and leave it in their hands.

    If you force it, nothing will change. Like others have said, THEY have to be the one who wants to change in order for it to happen.

    Answer by quorleeba at 10:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009


    Answer by molly900 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.