• In the Spotlight:

Why do city people move to the country and then expect the farmers to change to suit them?

They buy a piece of land between 2 farms and build a nice big house and then they complain about the dust from the plowing on one side or the stubble burning on the other side bothering their kid's asthma. They even gripe about the smell of manure from the pasture. I'm sorry their kid has asthma, although it isn't my fault, but the kid is 9 years old and has had asthma all her life so why did they move out there in the first place? Do they have the right to try and get people in the whole area to change just for their kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They dodn't understand what country living reall is like. They think it is the "story book" life. My Grandfather owned farm land/ dairy farm for over 60 years. In the last 5 years a subdivision built right up to the property line his "refused to sell" dairy farm. Now the people in the subdivision want the 60 year old dairy farm to close down. Ha Ha As long as it stays in our family it can stay open.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No I do not believe they have that right.Weherever one decides to move and reside they need to make sure beforehand of the pros and cons.I was born in D.C. and raised just outside of.My husband was born in southern MD so he had a taste of country living.I was the suburbia/city girl.Anyway,we moved here to the hills of TN in the backwoods about 9 yrs ago and I do not complain of those things and I love it.Very peaceful and a good way of life for my kids to grow up.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thats funny!!! I moved from a small town to a big city...But anyway, People are used to the fast life and (by experience) it is hard to go to a small town. I visit my mom periodically and I catch myself sometimes asking" why don't you have a walmart yet". And then I think about if they did the whole town would go under. People are just used to a certain way. When people move from a big city and think it's nice and quiet here, but they really don't understand why. I hope I helped
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• They were innocently ignorant. They probably had no idea it would be that way, and instead of regretting it, they put the blame on the farmers as if they should change. They should just move, that is what i would do.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Not your problem , they should have thought about that before hand now shouldn't of they.. Stand your ground and just don't let it get to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I've seen that too! We live in cattle country, hello! Cattle moo loudly! Cattle drives back up traffic. WHY do we take the cattle down the highway? Because the rest of the land is taken up by the new subdivision!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• They should have asked about the area and what goes on before making a commitment to move. Regular common sense.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 12:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I know many farmers and they aren't budging an inch for someone else's comfort. Sounds like your neighbors need to get over it or move. No one asked them to show up. If they don't like then they can plant some really tall trees. Jerks.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't think they have the right either! I see it daily as I live just over the NJ state line in PA! People "escaping" the craziness of New York and New Jersey, only to want liberal leadership, increased taxes, to want to put an end to hunting including animal population control like deer and the abolishing of farm land in favor of new subdivisions!

We "moved west" in ORDER to have peace and quiet, lower taxes, more house for the money, and so forth...but the town I live in have QUADRUPLED in population in just 7 years! I hardly recognize our little town anymore!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

***
    I can't help but laugh when I see the disgruntled, stressed out faces of people driving their cars when they're stuck behind a slow moving tractor on the main road! You can see the little veins popping in their foreheads--a quick look at the NJ license plate reveals the reason why!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009