Hardwood floor issues....

I have hardwood floor in my kitchen (which I hate). We built this house 5 years ago and ever since then I had to get my floors re-done 3 times. For some reason, after 6 month to 1 year a film starts to cover my floor. I only clean it with water (that is what the company suggested). We don't wear shoes in the house, to keep the house clean. Does any one have suggestions for me to get rid of the film so I don't have to get my floor re-done again.

Amanzi

Asked by Amanzi at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It could be hard water deposits I clean my floors with water and vinegar
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 2:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We have hardwood (bamboo) in our kitchen as well and I've never noticed a problem. I use Method's cleaner for hardwood floors to clean our floors. I do notice that if I cook bacon or something that has grease or oil that pops out, the floor right by the cooktop is greasy. It may be that since you only use water, it isn't cleaning all the grease up.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I use water and vinegar on mine; we had them refinished 11 years ago and have never had a film on them.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We've lived in this house for 20 years and it has hardwood in the living/dining rooms and they need to be refinished but because they are really dinged up. I only notice a film when there is too much soap when I mop. I always used Murphy's Oil Soap on the floor because that's what my mom used. I've never had a problem.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No you do not clean it with water.I bought special cleaner to clean my wood floors.The name of it is called zep hardwood floor cleaner.It works great.They have other stuff too.Those men are crazy you have to use special cleaner.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 12:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• are your floors getting redone by the same people who you bought the floors from originally? if so, i think they are telling you to clean with only water to keep themselves in business. the floor can't possibly get clean with straight water. 1C vinegar plus 1 gallon hot water should be a good cleaner for your floors. maybe the first time i'd add 1/4 cup borax to get that film up first.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009