Dialated....(spelling?)

So I am 40 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me that I'm completley effaced, the baby's in place (at the right station), and that I'm 1 1/2 cen. dialated. He was totally convinced that labor would start soon and even said I would have her last night. How many of you have been told this when this far along and it still took forever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told with my son that when my plug came out labor would start that night. it did. doctor also said baby would be born that weekend. he wasn't. baby was born early early that tuesday morning.

the only who knows for sure when baby will be born is baby.

it's hard to wait I remember that. just don't allow more than a week overdue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• But also remember you aren't Overdue until 42 weeks.. I heard that same story from my doctor with my first pregnancy, was even dilated the same and she didn't come till almost 43 weeks and that was only because I had a c-section
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 1. Dilation & effacement mean NOTHING when it comes to determining when you'll go into labor!! I know a woman who was 4cm dilated for 3 weeks. Her OB was convinced every time she came in that she would go into labor the next weekend. She ended up going to just over 41 weeks.

2. Due dates area guesstimate. You are "due" within a 4 week time frame (38wk-42wk) and it is not entirely uncommon to go to or even past 43 weeks safely.

Congrats on the dilation & effacement! That's less work you have to do in labor!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I dont think its the dilation that caused him to say that, I think it was being completely effaced. It is possible to walk around completely effaced but typically, when your cervix is totally thinned out... as soon as you start regular contractions, they will start to do something almost right away
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009