How can I discipline my 10 month old?

My ten month old is very bright and curious. He is walking and into everything. This is mostly okay, but for a few things. There is a woodburning stove that we plan to use this winter and my son is very interested in it to say the least. We started using distraction to lure him away, then started saying "hot touch, no touch". Then we moved to "not for baby" now we are trying no and removal. It has turned into a fun game for him and an exhausting workout for me. Should I ignore him and let him explore in the hopes that he will get bored with it before winter, or should I just keep pulling him away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pop his hand
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Geez, please don't hit him, especially this young- he won't correlate hitting with punishment, he'll only know that mom is hitting him but he won't understand why.
    Is there a way you can block it? Like get a baby gate for the kitchen?
    Stay consistent with one phrase, it'll be easy for him to learn it if he hears it repeatedly, especially if you use that phrase for other things. We tell Isis "don't touch!" and we say it firmly to get her attention. She learned what that means quickly and says it herself now. In a dangerous situation like this, yell for emphasis and move him away. He'll get it, it'll just take time and consistency.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If you're planning on using it this winter I would get a gate to enclose it. They are very expensive, but I don't think that a few months is long enough to teach a child self discipline and for safety issues I wouldn't take chances.
    Consistency is key, use a firm voice,and good luck. It takes time, but it's worth it to start early.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with previous posts. A gate and consistency will work. At such a young age, he won't understand if you pop his hand or any other form of physical discipline.
    Londyland

Answer by Londyland at 12:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009