if you are pregnant and had to get your appendix out,would you lose the baby?

Might sound stupid. But my BF txtd me ant told me his cousins girl might lose her baby bc she needs her appendix out--i was wondering if that is a possibility,bc every1 talks how crazy she is,I just want to make sure that it can actually happen. Bc he's very upset and worried n I wouldn't want sum1 worried over nothing. She's had 2 abortions b4,and I'm hoping she's not having another n using this as an excuse..bc he's sooo excited about this baby! Thnx in advance. I was just going to surf the net 2 see,but I'm on my cell it would kill my battery by the time I find something.

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had a pregnant friend who had to have hers removed, and both survived just fine. It is risky, but the risk of having your appendix rupture is MUCH more dangerous!

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes, any time you have surgery and are pregnant (especailly abdominal) you can lose the baby. There's a chance she can die as well (as with any surgery). If she doesn't get it out and needs it out then they could both die.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• ""Appendicitis in pregnancy is a relatively common occurrence. Rates of between 1 in every 1000 to 1 in 2000 pregnancy have been reported.

Pregnant mothers thus do develop appendicitis too. Not uncommonly, attending physicians and patients do develop a lot of anxiety about the occurrence of appendicitis during pregnancy and what is the best way to manage this condition.
    Because of the presence of pregnancy, there is usually a delay in diagnosis, as most of the complaints are blamed on the pregnancy.

A high index of suspicion, prompt diagnosis and surgical removal of the appendix even despite pregnancy is the appropriate management of appendicitis in the pregnant.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Undiagnosed appendicitis in pregnancy is a potentially fatal surgical emergency. Up to 4 in 100 women with ruptured appendicitis in pregnancy will die, and 1 in 3 babies may be lost due to delay in diagnosis and treatment of appendicitis during pregnancy.

After the 6th month of pregnancy, appendicitis during pregnancy could lead to premature labour in up to 1 in every 2 women with this condition.

• my friend had to hve hers taken out. she was preg and did not lose the baby. They did not put her under or anything,

• If she does have her appendix removed you would see a scar on her abdomen on the side. Just saying, if she does have an abortion and tries to pass this off as a surgery then you might be able to find out if she is lying that way.

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why is your boyfriend so worried about his cousin's girlfriend? That's odd.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Anon 12:27: we are both worried bc she's pregnant & we both dnt want anything to happen 2 her or the baby ... He could care less about her normally .. But he sees how bad they want this baby and its upsetting. Idk I guess you have to have a heart to understand

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009