How do I get my 9 month old to use a bottle?

I've always heard the values of breastfeeding and fully intend to breastfeed for at least a year. I have one very beautiful daughter. But, for the first time in her nine months, I'm hoping to start working part-time out of the house around the end of August.
The only solids that she'll eat consistently are Cheerios and she absolutely turns her nose at any baby food. I tried introducing the bottle at 2 months but, due to various reasons, it never really took.
She's mostly dependent on me for nutrition, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could get her to either A)Eat more solids between meals and/or B)Take the bottle (I feel I left this option a little late).

awelch

Asked by awelch at 12:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um if she get hungry enough he will eat whats there for her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• At 9 months I wouldn't start a bottle - I would try to transition straight to a sippy cup instead. My almost 9 month old uses a Nuby soft spout with two handles so it's easy for him to hold. I breastfeed so I've only been giving him the cup like once a day with some water in it, but he's gotten pretty good at it and I'm starting to give him a few ounces of breastmilk in it once a day starting to look toward weaning by age 1.
    Have you tried like Gerber Puffs for a snack, or just some cut up fruit? My son eats small dices of cheese as well and he loves the Gerber yogurt melts. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with the pp that you should just go with a sippy cup. This close to being a year old there is not point in giving a bottle just to turn around and take it away. KWIM? Get the soft spout cup and he will definately resist at first but just keep offering it to him. Also, like someone else said if he is hungry enough he will eat. Gerber makes several snack options for children that age. Just keep offering them and hopefully you will find one that sticks. Good luck.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 12:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• There's baby food out there that's regular food like pees, sweet potatos and there's fruits as well like pears, bananas and things like that. Did you try giving her some fruits? Diced fruits? or even boiling down carrots and squash it down a little and give it to her to get her use to eating those sort of things or maybe she doesn't like things that are squashed up. Maybe she just like solid stuff. That might be the case as well, with the food, because my son doesn't like chunks of anything, except fruits. Like the other mom said try the sippy cup. The soft spout one and give her the breast milk in it. Maybe when she tastes it it will taste fimiliar to her so its ok.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 1:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009