So I bought an avocado

I went to the grocery store this morning and bought an avocado. I've never worked with this fruit before. I cut it in half and it's hard inside....I thought you were supposed to be able to just scoop it out and it would be creamy. This thing is as hard as an apple but not juicy lol.
What should I do with it?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh p.s. i got it to feed to my 5 month old
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That's the pit, lol! Just like a peach. Chuck it out.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• it isn't ripe yet, what color is it? the brownish ones that are still firm are ripe, the green ones aren't ripe yet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No i took the pit out! The green insides are hard.
    The outside is dark green, but firm.
    Should I just chuck it then because I already cut it in half
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yep, chuck it. Next time look for a black one and it should be firm but slightly squeezable. That sucks to throw one away, but if they are that hard, they are inedible.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• yes. it is not ripe yet. if you get the green ones, wait a day or two with them sitting on the counter. They will ripen up and feel just a little squishy. That is when they are their best. If you want the insides to retain their color, put the pit in there with the avocado. I always do that with my guacamole, and it always stays green even after a day of being in the fridge. I love avocados, they are so good for you (lots of Omega 3's, which are good for your brain).
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks guys
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• uuuuummmmm DONT FEED THAT TO UR 5 MONTH OLD.......A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE ALLERGIC TO IT.......that is not something to feed ur 5 MONTH OLD
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Lol well my doctor and every babyfood cookbook and website disagrees with you
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well i just read about it and yes ur right but i wouldnt give it to my child not at that age
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009