i need the truest answer you guys can tell me

our daughter is walking with now very well she speaking about 25 words and her OT is greatly improved, all her test have been negative so farl my question is we took her to see the head of the early steps and she exclaimed that Havana was a very healthy happy girl but still is going to keep and eye on her every6 months to see her progress. She mention that if Havana had anything it would be learning disabilities.later they will test hr IQ for Mr(i know no one like that) , there no test for 2 an four months now for mild anything. also she dint order any test for anything one s mall blood prick to recheck genetic but is just a double check. SHe thikgs she does not have anything but benign low muscle, those of you who have children with developmental delays for life of for lack of a better term mental retardation I'm talking really mild how do Drs and come to that diagnosis? what other qualifiers need to ne present ?

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 12:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Health

• The doctors said my son would never walk or read and would have significant lifelong problems.
    He is now 21. He has a good paying job in a health food type grocery store. He has just bought a house in Tucson with a swimming pool and is moving in this weekend.

He looks normal and walks fine. He can't run very well. His IQ is 80, mental retardation is below 75. He learned how to read when he was 12 and is an excellent reader and writer. He is starting college this fall, with an IQ of 89. He says he has done the best with what he was given. He also has bipolar disorder, from his father and a very rare life-threatening genetic immune disorder, from me.

How has he done so well. He was breastfed almost 3 years. Breastfeeding can add 10 or more IQ points, breastfeeding probably saved him from mental retardation. He had early intervention - lots of therapy. We homeschooled and I was able to teach him at his pace.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• sorry but there are so many typos and ramblings it makes it heard to read this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Then why respond she is concerned!! You have to trust in what the docs say and just keep a close eye on your baby...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Your daughter has developmental disabilities and mild mental retardation. She is happy and healthy and she is going to be evaluated by doctors every 6 months and she has been tested for some genetic disorders. You don't say how old she is. Since she is talking my guess would be over 3.

The most imortant thing is early intervention. You say she is getting OT. Take her to OT, speech, or physical therapy - anything that can help her. Do so for as long as possible. Don't send her to any kind of preschool. Take advantage of any kind of one-on-one education she can get in home. This is very important for kids with developmental delays and below average IQs.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009