At what age would your let your son/daughter wear contacts?

Not for cosmetic purposes, but for prescription needs.

Asked by missanc at 12:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe around 10-12. I guess it would depend on the child.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When ever the child is responsible enough to take care of them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I started wearing contacts at age 14. But, I had a very strong prescription and the glasses I wore looked like coke bottles! LOL For me it was important for self-esteem. I was at the transition age where I wanted to look pretty and the glasses just were ugly!

My lenses were hard. (1980) The soft lenses of the day were too much money and too fragile for a newbie wearer. The hard lenses took longer to "break in" (get used to), but I still wear hard lenses today. I tried the soft ones, but they still tore easily and dried out on my eye.

I suggest getting some soft disposable daily wear for your new wearer. They will be most comfortable soonest and you have backups if they get ripped or lost.

If your child has the initiative and responsibility, I'd say around 12 years old is a good age to start.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OP here - yes, I wear soft daily wear which are very comfortable. I wasn't allowed to get mine until i was 16 and he hasn't asked - I'm just starting to think about it for when he does, if he does

Answer by missanc at 1:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• god, whenever they needed them, and glasses got in the way.

i had to BEG my dad to give me contacts. I was playing ODP (olympic develp. soccer) at a very early age, so i needed them. I'm not sure why he waited to long... I guess he didn't know how bad my eye sight was. i couldn't even read jersey numbers.

But on a side note... i always wear my glasses (unless playing), i think contacts are pain.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I got mine for my 11th birthday.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i got mine when i was 11
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My niece got hers when she was 8
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Before you even consider this you need to check with the eye doctor. My daughter wanted contacts at 13. I consulted the doctor and he was against it at her age because of development and growth. He recommended I wait untill she was 15. Now on the other hand, a friend of mine just went to a doctor at a local retail store and the doctor their did the exam and wrote the prescription for her 12 year old. My suggestion is to talk to the eye doctor before you agree.

Traxx

Answer by Traxx at 1:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was 13 when I got my contacts. My eye doctor/uncle will not put my son is contacts until he is 16 ish because he wants to make sure he can take care of them properly and boys younger than that tend to not take care of them. I would NOT put any child in contacts until they are atleast 13. Anything younger is asking for trouble. If you don't take proper care of contacts you can cause very bad eye issues including blindness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009