I am not racist at all......

but why when my son goes to school where a great number of the population is hispanic, black or asain, he is the one that gets bullied and called a cracker and all other sort of things, how would you handle it this year? I mean I went to school last year and tried to hanble it was very uncomfortable saying that because I have personally seen the administration (which none of them are white) treat certain kids better, now I know some of you moms are gonna flip out but then don't respond
I just want to know the best way to handle this for the sake of my kid....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in

• I would say the same thing firethearson. I would also preface the school year by speaking to the administration letting them know that you've had problems in the past and you'd like to avoid a repeat if possible. Ask them to give you some suggestions on how you and the staff could work to reslove conflicts more effective if they should arise. If they see you being proactive then perhaps they'll know ahead of time that you're not gonna take any shit this year.

My daughter is black and she has attended a primarily black grade school and is about to attend a magnet primary black middle school and would you believe she is also expereinced things not so much on the color of her skin but because she speaks properly, is very "green" about somethings, enjoys being her age instead of trying to act like she's older, liking Hannah Montana and other typical 11yr old behavior. She's call a white girl by girls who look like her.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well you know if it were here where i live (small town alabama) and someone called a black child a "nigger" a hispanic a "wetback" or an asian "slat eyes" the white kid would be called a racist but they can call our kids or even us a cracker, honkey or whatever & noone says shit, it pisses me off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It's true "reverse discrimination". (I hate that term...discrimination is discrimination)

Anyway, the school MUST do something about harassment of a child that involves racism. Send a formal complaint in writing (keep a copy for yourself) with return receipt to prove they got it. If they do nothing about it then, you can go to an attorney and sue the school admin.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Talk to the staff and if they refuse to help threaten to get the school board involved or a lawyer. I bet they'll help your kid then
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 1:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I make my presence known in the school, letting them know that if there is a problem with my child and other classmates or even the teachers that I play a very active role in her life and they should expect me to be up to the school the moment I get wind of something. The more you make yourself and your expectations known the more they'll take you seriously and when problems arise you'll find that they're trying to straighten them out before you get up to the school cuz they don't want you up there. Make them do their job. It's not fair to your child that he's is experiencing racist things said or done to him. This situation is no different then if it were a black/Hispanic child facing racist things from a group of white children.

MAKE THEM DO THEIR JOB in resolving conflicts. That's your baby and you're showing him and the world you'll stop at nothing to protect him.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Most schools have a zero tolerance policy towards bullying; check with the principal

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Ya, that's funny rkoloms! My son was strangled and nothing was done to the bully but a measly one day in school suspension. Change schools where most of the population is white!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I hate to say it, but if you can change schools then do. I have a friend that sends her kid to catholic school just so she doesn't have to go to a school where she'd the only on that speaks English. I know that sounds terrible, but her neighbor's kid had similar problems as your son and so after hearing that my friend said "no way" and sent her over to the catholic school, she even got financial aid to help with the tuition so it wasn't too bad. It's not fair that your child gets picked on, but somehow I doubt the school's going to do much and he can't learn in a negative environment.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009