Would you let 16 (almost 17) yrs old girl to babysit small kids (3 & 4 yrs old) 1 and 1/2 days?

I may have to be out of town for 2 nights (Friday, Saturday & come home early Sunday morning 4am) for my husband's friend wedding, but I am not sure if I would let my step-daughter to watch my kids for that long time period all by herself. They get along very well. When I asked my step-daughter, she said that she wouldn't mind babysitting as long as the food for three are provided for that time of period.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Shouldn't be a problem depending on the maturity of the girl in question, how far away are you going to actually be? Will there be another adult around to help her out if something gets to be too much for her? Like other family, etc. What is the longest length of time she has babysat for you before? A day and a half is a long time, if the longest she's sat for them is only a few hours.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• idk.. when i was 16 i kept my sister's newborn all the time b/c my mom worked nights & sister is a sorry ass ho
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sounds like the perfect opportunity to invite her boyfriend over or to have a party.

NO.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• depends on the maturity level...my daughter is only 11 but is babysitter cert, plus infant and child cpr cert...shes recently started babysitting...but younger kids (still in diapers) she does at my house with supervision.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Depends on how mature she is. You need to think of all possible out comes, look at her recent history. Does she do good in school? Does she listen well to you and your DH? Does she have a boy friend? Does she have "wild" friends? Make sure you are comfortable before you say yes. Otherwise you will not enjoy your time.
    wilesmomma

Answer by wilesmomma at 1:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• depends on weather she can handle it and what if an emer comes up she she handle it in a calm manner
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When I was 17 I was left for the weekend with my 4 step siblings who were 2- 10 at the time and every thing was okay. We actually did have an emergency - 2 year old step brother stood on a chair and fell off it requiring staples in his head NOT MY FAULT, JUST ONE OF THOSE TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THEM FOR A SECOND THINGS!-and I was even surprised at how well I handled it, just make sure she knows who to call if she needs help. I was fortunate that our neighbor was the backup babysitter, so I had the oldest go get her, my BF was there so he drove to the ER, and when dad and step-mom got home we were just pulling in as they were getting out of the car. Also leave a note giving her permission to authorize medical treatment, we were lucky I had that "just in case" .
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't mean any disrespect but I remember being 16 and having younger siblings and to be COMPLETELY honest having my parents gone for 2 days regardless of babysitting my siblings or not means PARTY TIME! I dont know your stepdaughter but she might have an alterior motive in taking advantage of this situation if you honestly do trust her I'd give her the opportunity and just have relatives check on them ever so often, and if you have any doubts go with them because a mothers instincts are never wrong!!
    Ashley830509

Answer by Ashley830509 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009