How do you feel about the chicken pox vac?

My DD is scheduled to have the chicken pox vac at her next visit and I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, I'd like to save her from a week of being uncomfortably itchy, possible scarring..on the other...its a relatively new vaccine. All the info I find that recommend it is word for word the same..so I assume there hasn't been to many independent studies. Any and all info is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm not sure about any bad side effects of the vaccine itself. I read today in a magazine that if you get chicken pox, you are at higher risk for developing shingles later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I selectively vaccinate my children and this is one of the ones they had. My 18 month old nephew didn't have it, he ended up in the hospital for several days with a staph infection due to the chicken pox. It's not just the itchiness and scarring they're trying to prevent.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• All immunizations share some of the same hazards.

The Chicken Pox vac is so new we don't know how long it is going to provide protection. It is a disease that is mild in healthy children with a very low rate of hospitalization or death. If you get it as a child you have immunity the rest of your life. It is one of the most contagious diseases ever.

We don't know how long the immunity from the vac will last. Since the vac is not the same as getting the disease it does not produce the same immune responce. It is known that it won't be lifelong. Chicken Pox is much worse in adults than children and adults have a higher complication, hospitalization and death rate.

The disease gives the child lifelong immunity. The vac has hazards and may not give any immunity. At best it gives immunity for an unknown number of years. The disease is worse in adults. I would pass on the vac for my kids.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I just found this on Medline:

"Chickenpox is extremely contagious, and can be spread by direct contact, droplet transmission, and airborne transmission. Even those with mild illness after the vaccine may be contagious."

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son received this vax because when i was kid they did not have it and I got chicken pox and to this day I have scars all over my body from it. i know dr's say once you get you have immunity but i had a family member who got chicken pox and a year later got it again. i was miserable and had to miss 2 weeks of school and then i passed onto my brother.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had my son vaccinated and at 5 years old he still got the chicken pox. It isn't 100% effective as I'm sure no vaccine is. What he did get was a very mild version of them including a fever and just a handful of spots on his torso. He caught them from a friend who had also been vaccinated and whose case was only slightly stronger than his. My concern with the vaccine is that if we know it isn't strong enough to last into adulthood and the virus is merely an irritation to children but more harmful to adults, why do we vaccinate children and not grownups? It all seems a little backwards to me.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• im a vaxing mom but this is one vax my dd isnt getting along with the gardisil when she old enough for it the vaxs hasnt been around long enough to determin if there is long term side effect from it the only vaxes i wnat my dd to get r the one that prevent diseases that have a high mortality rate and the vax has a good recored of preventing the disease
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• this is one we skipped. We were going to have her tested at 12 for the immunity, but she had the pox when she was ten.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Also, having chicken pox does not mean you will be protected. I know a few people who got a mild case then a few years later got it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Don't do it. The immunity, if even aquired, doesn't last forever so if your kid forgets to get the vaccine at an older age again, they'll very likely get the chicken pox when it's most deadly. Also, it's a live virus vaccine. It has the potential to give your child or anyone who hasn't had the pox the actual chicken pox. It's also grown on aborted fetal tissue, which is not cool with me. Let the kid get the chicken pox. :) They'll be immune for life, naturally.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009