back-to-sleep?

My 4 1/2 month old is now rolling VERY well, and I couldn't be more proud. Except that he now refuses to stay on his back while sleeping. I lay him on his back and then check on him several times through the night to roll him back over. What else can I do?

megs424420

Asked by megs424420 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Why don't you just let her sleep on her stomach??"

Because it increases the risk of SIDS - and I don't adhere to the "my kids did it and they were fine" line. I always have put all 4 of my babies to sleep on their backs. When they got to where they could roll over, they did. And my 9 month old rolls over to sleep on his tummy too, but I always put him down on his back. Once they can roll over, the greatest risk of SIDS is gone.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. She is also 4 1/2 mos. old and loves to roll around everywhere. As soon as I lay her down in her crib she rolls over on to her stomach and falls asleep. I let her sleep because she has great head control and the ability to roll back over if she needs to. I'll admit I don't have all the facts on SIDS but it seems to me the biggest concern would be the child's lack of ability to lift their head if needed or to roll over. I figure once they've mastered the skill they should be okay to sleep on their stomachs if that is how they are most comfortable.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• let him be. If he can roll, he's safe enough to move when uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why don't you just let her sleep on her stomach?? and then keep your eye on her n check on her 1's in a while to see if she's ok. If you will make sure the sheet in her crib is the right size and and snug the mattress. By leting her sleep on her stomach she's able to sleep longer and also, when awake, learn how to flip back over to the other side as well as gaining kneck muscles. My daughter is now 6 months old and my son is 2 yrs old. from they were a week old they've been sleeping on their bellys. and I just monitor them. That's it.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 1:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I actually called the doctor when my first did this. They said if she was rolling on her own, then to leave her. It was fine.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The general consensus is that it is no longer a SIDS risk if they're doing it on their own. You're still supposed to lay them down on their backs but if they roll to their stomach, then they have enough control over their bodies for it not to be a risk any longer.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009