My daughter is about 19 months old and I'm ready to start potty-training her but I don't Know where to start.

I've tried sitting her on the potty in front of the T.V. and putting on a Dora show but she will sit there for hours and will not use it and I also don't want to make T.V. watching while pottying a habit because there's no T.V. in the bathroom.

trying2staysane

Asked by trying2staysane at 12:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just because you're ready doesn't mean she is. If she doesn't seem interested, put the potty away & try again next month. That's what I would do. I tried to start PT my son, but he didn't care about it at all. He didn't fight me, but he just wasn't interested... so I'll try again later.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• She will let you know she is ready on her own. It will not work unless she is giving you the signs that she is ready. A couple of those are
    1.knowing all of the potty words and what they are. i.e. peepee, poopoo, poty, etc.
    2. telling you whenever she goes to the bathroom in her diaper and wanting it changed right away.
    When she is ready you will know, she will let you know. Until then there is no reason for her to be potty trained. If she is ready and doing all of those things ( which it sounds like she is not) then you can start slow, let her go through the actions of using the potty, wiping herself, washing her hands, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Also a whole lot of toddlers will get freaked out of the potty, especially whe forced. They will actually just sit on it and not do anythign at all when this happens or not get on the potty at all.
    They can also have a fear of going poopoo especially when starting out. I mean here is something coming out of her body and getting thrown away, pretty scary for a little one.
    But it sounds like she is just not ready. Don't worry she is only 19 months old, you have a lot of time.
    Anonymous

• TAKE HER SHOPPING FOR NEW PANTIES. DONT USE PULL UPS THEY ONLY CONFUSE THE CHILD. AND BE CONSISTANT. REMIND HER TO USE THE BATHROOM EVERY TWENTY MINUTES AND TAKE HER WHEN EVER YOU HAVE TO GO. GOOD LUCK
    dddddmom

Answer by dddddmom at 3:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I agree with dddddmom. But only when shes ready other wise its going to frustrate you to no end. And once you put her in panties DONT go back to diapers!
    dstny1998

Answer by dstny1998 at 6:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You may be ready to potty train your Daughter, but that does not mean she is ready. Its not up to you on when she will start training, its up to her. She will let you know when she is ready, just watch for signs. Dry Diapers after Naps, Waking up from sleeping all night with a Dry Diaper, the understanding of when she poo poo and pee pee, and when she's really interested in her potty by going to it and sitting on it on her own without you doing it. Here's a suggestion that worked for me. Everytime you go Potty, take her with you and sit her on the potty while your going to. She will see that she is being like Mommy, and will get interested. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• get a potty trainer and make her sit on that and make some noise fr eg.shoo shoo.let her recognise these words,so everytime u make her sit on potty trainer and make this noise for first few days she will know how to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2008