Is it ok to send my son to preschool this year (turns 3 in Oct) rather than wait until next year when he is 4?

I am struggling with putting my one and only child into preschool this year. Most of the moms in my neighborhood are putting their 2 1/2 year olds in preschool. My son does get social interaction at church, the gym nursery, and we belong to a moms group. In addition I do in a fun matter reinforce letters, numbers, colors, shapes, days of the week etc. I can see that he does struggle a little to fit in with kids his age and below and gravitates toward older kids. I am also like a single mom because my husband is traveling all the time and have no other family or backup to help out. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you think that it would benefit him then go ahead. My youngest was started in MDO at one day a week when he was 15 months. Each year another day was added and then when he turned 3 he started preschool. For him though it was important b/c he has a speech delay. My now 2 1/2 will start next fall when he's 3 1/2. But, without preschool my little one doesn't get to be around other his age...we don't know anyone with kids his age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It really depends on how you feel about it. My younger son will turn 3 on Sept. 15 and he is starting nursery school this year. Depending on cost, you could always give it a try and if it doesn't work out take him out and try again next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well before I read your description I was going to bring up the cut off date. I dont know where you are but in some places they actually require a child to be how ever old by a certian date befroe they can begin school. If the child does not meet this date they have to wait for the next year to begin school. However based on your description that doesnt seem to be in your way. Now it is a matter of, do you feel HE is ready. Mostly academicly ,do you feel he can handel it. If you work with your child at home then he will most likely be fine. If even ahead of some children! Also emotionaly and mentally being ready, you said he has many oppurtunities to socialize with other kids his age, which is very good. He already is good with other kids. Altough he seems to gravitate towards older kids this may be a good oppurtunity for him to not have that in the way and be able to focus on his own age group and also doing so independently
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My granddaughter started pre-school at that age, she went for half a day 3 days a week. It gave her some much needed structure and gave her mommy a little time for herself. My boy (now 8) started at 4 and now I wish he had gone earlier.
    NannyTracy

Answer by NannyTracy at 1:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• if you can afford it, i would do it. part time at least.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well first of all at 2 1/2 its not really called pre-school, its called daycare. All preschools I know of you have to be 3 to start. I dont know what the rules are in your area. My DD turned 3 in December and she started in Jan after winter vacation. My friends DD turned 3 the day school started and she was definately not ready. Maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to try it out and see how you both like it. Just dont get your heart set on it until you see how he likes it. Good luck!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my fiancee and I struggled with this decision as well, We wanted her to have interaction because she was an only child I didnt have support groups or play dates except for my best friend and her two kids once every few months but we had decided that we didn't want her to start too early and by the time she hit 2nd grade she'd alrerady be sick of school so she just turned 4 last week and is entering preschool this year, if your child has interactions with other children it wouldn't hurt to wait awhile he's only 2 1/2 don't ruch it unless you feel you have to.. give him a chance to be a baby for a little while and you'll know when he's ready!
    Ashley830509

Answer by Ashley830509 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009