• In the Spotlight:

How do you feel about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-rape_device

I have NEVER heard of this before today! An anti-rape condom? I can see how this would work, but I also feel that it could be potentially dangerous for the woman as well. While I agree with part of the article that women should not have to go to these measures to ensure they aren't raped, I do not agree that it's "anti-man".

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've read that article. I came across it by accident, after looking up "French letter" (British name for condoms in 17-1800s). Yeah, that's right, I was reading a smutty romance novel. :)

Anyway, I agree that it's a shame that women would feel the need to have to wear these. I also don't agree that it's "cruel" to men. I have no sympathy for a rapist. If he's raping a woman who happens to be wearing a barb-filled female condom....he had it coming. You won't hear "Aww, poor man." or "Shame on that man-hating woman!" from me.

Did you happen to see the picture of that one chastity belt that's linked on that page? The one with razor-teeth surrounding the hoo-hah and anal holes. Ouch!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sounds like a really good idea, unfortunately the rapist will probably go with anal rape to avoid them. I agree that it would probably be more dangerous for women because the rapist would probably kill her after getting snared.
    Atleast it's some sort of deterant. My main concern is that if the barb's make him bleed into the woman and he has AIDS, I think that would increase the likelyhood of the woman getting infected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why don't they just let all women carry a gun? That should prevent rape.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Rape isn't about sex, it is about violence. I think it would be silly if women resorted to one of these.

I carry a "rape prevention condom." I'll change the idiot that tries from a rooster to a hen in just one shot. Then he can spend the rest of his days trying to sort out his "gender identity." I'm not playing either. I was assaulted once, not sexually thank goodness, but it was terrifying.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My SO and I discussed this and he made an interesting point. There are some women who could potentially misuse it. Just like any crazy lady would do, she'd put it in and have sex with him. In this case, he'd be the victim.

Overall, it's a weird idea and it looks to be dangerous for women too. Maybe cut up our insides?
    JJRsMomma

Answer by JJRsMomma at 2:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Ouch.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009