Need info from Non-Immunizing Moms!

Would you send your 18 month old to a daycare where there are school age and infant (immunized) children? Why or why not? What are the risks for both sides? What questions should I be asking the daycare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would not want ur child near mine

Yeah your child might have rabbies and bite my child. LOL I only get certain vaccines for my child. The ones the doctors highly recommend.

Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Are there any daycares out there that take your child without immunizations???
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 1:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes but you have to get a waiver signed by your doctor for it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I selectively vaccinated my children and when they started school I had to sign a waiver. If there's ever an outbreak in the schools, they have to inform me and I have to keep my kids home from school during that time. I'm okay with that - but I would ask the daycare if they would inform you if a child contracts a disease, so you can take precautions.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Those of you that think there aren't unimmunized kids at YOUR daycare might want to think again.

First, I think if you aren't going to immunize, you should consider keeping your under 2 children at home (for their safety). I don't give shots until after 2, and we do not do group daycare settings until after then. This includes a standard church nursery.

I am also not a fan of daycares that take care of all aged kids. If they don't have a focus, I feel like everything is just kind of standard, and they can't excel at preschool care. Unless it's a really big facility.

It also depends on your reasoning for not immunizing. Was there a reaction? Is he immunocompromised? Are you just concerned? If you haven't given them for a medical reason, that reason might be enough to avoid daycares as long as possible.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter has all her immunizations. I was just wondering because I used to work at a daycare center and I know for sure we didn't take children without immunizations (it was on a army installation though).
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 2:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I would ask your doctor about the health risks. If you have a clean day care, you should be more concerned about stomach bugs and toddlers hitting and biting each other. The diseases being vaccinated against aren't typically transfered between kids. Think about it. You have a 10 month old and a 2 month old in the same room. The 10 month old has more vaccines than the 2 month old but isn't endangering the 2 month old. It'll be the same with your child. Vocus on the quality of care, cleanliness as a means of preventing illness, ratios, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Keep your child away from mines please
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• There are 3 objections to vaccinations as far as waivers are concerned : Medical, Religious, Philosophical. Some states offer exemptions for all 3, most offer for Medical and Religious, but ALL 50 offer exemption for Medical. Check your state laws for it's exemptions: http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

The one thing you're going to want to watch out for are those that have been recently vaccinated with live virus vaccines.  They can "shed" the virus, and not only pass it on to your child, but those that are too young to get it.  I don't vax my youngest, but my older two are fully vaxxed.  When they were in daycare and got their live virus vaccines there were babies too young to get it, but didn't catch anything, so I think the chances are slim, but still and concern.  Just keep your LO's immune system strong.

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• And to those of you worried about your children's interaction with non-vaxxed kids, I urge you to do some research before you post ignorant comments.

If you think your vaccines have fully protected your child, then why are you worried about an un-vaxxed kid being around them? Your kids are immunized so therefore can't get any of those diseases, right? So what's the big deal?

Un-vaxxed kids are all over the place. You should drop your ignorant attitudes about them, and learn to deal with it because your kids WILL come in contact with them.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009