Do you think that toddlers of SAHMs have less opportunities of learning social skills compared to children of working moms?

I'm sahm but I've been told that my toddler could do better developmentally in a DAYCARE. What a s$##!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• You should have been attending play groups while your baby was in utero. Didin't you know that that's the only way they really learn to socialize is by hanging out with other fetuses? :) No, there are many ways for your child to learn to interact in a group setting. I'm not sure why we are all so eager to boot our kids into a group setting. I want mine to be comfortable at home first, and interacting with one or two playmates. I mean, how many kids are they going to play with at one time at daycare? Uh, one or two.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OP here. I guess they don't know that my toddler gets involve in different activities throughout the week. But why bother trying to explain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• sorry i meant to say involved op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I do think it's beneficial for toddlers to be around other children, but it doesn't have to be from a daycare center. It could be from playgroups, family members, etc. As long as they get some exposure.

My nephew is babysat by someone with no other children and I do see him developing slower than some other children I've been around .
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It all depends on the SAHM. Some SAHMs are very active and make an effort to place their children in social situations such as playgroups or heck, even the park. However, there are also SAHMs who feel they are too busy just keeping the house in order to take their children out and put them into social situations. Unless you know the activities that a SAHM has on a day to day basis there's no way to tell.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a while. They don't have to get their social interaction from a daycare.

I take my daughter to playgrounds and then she does childrens church on sundays. She's very good with other children, even from just those interactions.

Maybe next time you talk to this person you can hand her a list of all the potential CONS of putting your child in daycare.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think that a good SAHM take there child places like the park, play groups or any other group events to socialize. I am not a fully SAHM. i work part time a few days a week. My DD is not in a daycare. She is in a private home with 2 other children. No different than siblings for her so no more social than staying home with her brother. I take her to the park every Friday to play with different children. she goes in the church nursery on Sundays. I want to start Gymnastic when she turns 2. There are plenty of social opportunity out there other than a big under managed room slap full of kids and one stressed out teacher. I have been there done that and my child is better for NOT being in that environment even if it is only a few hours a week. My biggest benefit for leaving mine a few hours a week is/was that they are not horrible separation anxiety kids. You can do that by leaving them at the grandparents though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Load of crap. Children do not NEED daycare. It is a necessity for some parents to work not a social event for the children.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My kids have gone to parks, preschool and the like and seem to have better social skills than their cousins who have been in daycare. I think that's mainly down to their individual personailty (and that they are not spoiled at home). In the same way, they have rarely been babysat, even by grandparents, yet neither ever had any separation anxiety and no tears were shed when they did start preschool. Again, I think a lot of it is down to the child's individual personality and how they are treated by their carers rather than whether they are in day care or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no. It 100% depends on the parent and the day care. Are some kids better off in day care, yes. Are some kids better off at home, yes. If your child is socializing at home, at play groups or class settings, then you're fine. If you keep your child home and don't go anywhere and don't see other kids, then you might have problems. But just being at a day care doesn't mean the child will socialize espically if it's a bad day care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009