my son is almost 3 months old. he started this thing around 2 weeks he would get beet red stop breathing and get really stiff then when he came to he freaks out and crys like he is being beat he stopped it for awhile and just reciently started back up again its really scaring me and his pedatrician has yet to call me back does anyone know what it could be or if its normal?

Why does my son stop breathing?

mommyJasmine305

Asked by mommyJasmine305 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he cry so hard he stops breathing or he stops breathing first, then starts crying? I don't know if it's normal but my mom told me that when I was a baby, I would cry so hard, i would stop breathing and turn blue. She would blow in my face to make me take a breath!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You just called an left a message? I think it's best to have your lil' one examined, if you haven't already. How often does this happen? How long does it last? I'm wondering if it could be some kind of seizure. I hope you find some answers soon.
    JJRsMomma

Answer by JJRsMomma at 2:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• sounds like a seizure
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My dd does something somewhat similiar when she's trying to poop! Any change your son could just be constipated?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• you asked your doc 2 wks ago??? and he didnt call you back? what the hell is wrong with them at that office? I thought docs take sick calls right away. I'd be freaking out and calling to make an appt.
    How long does he not breath for? this sounds really scary.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I would have him checked out for epilepsy. I've never observed a seizure in an infant before but that's certainly what it sounds like to me.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Hi,

I am not a medical professional, but please call your doctor again and go to the hospital right away if your baby stops breathing for any reason. It is better to be safe than sorry.

U should go right away and make sure your baby is not experiencing something serious. Be proactive about this.

Good luck and I hope your son is well.

nbraund

Answer by nbraund at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• he cries when he startes breathing again. and he will stop breathing for a good 10 secconds. i didnt think of it being a seizure because he dosent spaz he just freezes really tight then comes back after i blow into his face a few times.. it happened 3 times yesterday and about two outher times this week. i left a message with his doc because they were out to lunch but have yet to call me back
    mommyJasmine305

Answer by mommyJasmine305 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• what if this happens when you all are sleeping? I hope the doctors sees you soon!!!
    nbraund

Answer by nbraund at 3:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my month old did that and he does have seizures but is very serious called 911 because he stopped breathing and he has major problems will never be able to do nuthing my pediatrition kept telling me koko was fine and his venticals are enlarged, does he vomit,? sleep to much. when arching thier back is aseizure a friend of my husbands was with us the 6 time i took him to the hospiatl and her kid was older and has seizures. my email is ashlopez1210@yahoo.com and can help. because 1 out of 1,000 kids can be born like this the more ican help someone having these problems caught early by a neurologist , is the best i drive 300 miles monthly to a nuerosurgent, they don't pay attention like they should. how does the soft spot, look ? i don't want to scare you.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 5:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2009