at what age is the use of a pillow recommended?

i was just wondering when children start to need a pillow. at what age did you give your child a pillow? do you know when it is recommended? what type of pillow is best? are the recommendations different when you bed-share? thanks ladies!!!

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I gave my son a pillow when he turned one. I don't know when it's recommended...probably some ridiculous age like 4 lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Oh and he has a toddler pillow, not a big one :)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I dunno my daughter is 19 months and is no where near ready to have a pillow in her bed. Not because she will suffocate but because she will play with it and then toss it out of the crib. lol I'll be giving her one when she is closer to two and sleeping in a toddler bed. With my son that's what i did but honestly he didn't start actually using a pillow til closer to three. I guess it depends on the child. I would say no sooner than one to be safe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• yeah. we bought a travel pillow that's like half the size of a standard one.
    But_Mommie

• My oldest started using one nightly around the time she turned 2. I just never thought to give her one before then and she never complained not having one.
    My other kids were all about 1 when they started using them. My youngest slept in her pack n play which was hard as a rock so when she was about 14 months old we started layering pillows under her. They were old ones that were squished down from years of use. She now sleeps with 1 regular pillow, 2 throw pillows, 4 blankets and a dozen stuffed animals (she's 3 now).
    My 6yo's first pillow was a travel sized pillow. She loved it and up until last week refused to trade it in for a regular pillow. Now she wants a regular pillow because she wants a pillowcase to match her sheets.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• About 18 months I guess.

DD had a travel pillow, but DS has a full size pillow, it's very flat, but he loves it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009