Anyone Celebrate Dia De Los Muertos?

I'd love to hear from actual moms who celebrate this holiday. I've been doing research and apparently it is celebrated two days November 1st and November 2nd. I'd like to know if it is a holiday that is celebrated by you and your children/family and what you do to honor this holiday. You may PM me or reply in this thread.

Thanks so much. :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 2:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I incorp it in my Samhain celebration...but here are some links that may help answer some questions...

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dead/articles/dead-history.html

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dead/

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm fascinated by this holiday and think it's a wonderful way to remember and honor our ancestors and our loved ones who have passed away. I know the celebrations can be pretty elaborate, but for me this day ties in with the rememberance rituals I do on Samhain, which is also a day in which departed loved ones can be remembered.

One thing that my dh and I started doing is going to a Festival of the Dead parade that's held in a town near us each year. People dress in costume or hold banners with pictures or names of loved ones who have died then follow a parade route through town at night. It's festive and somber at the same time and quite an experience. I know this probably isn't much help for you...but I just wanted to share it. :-)
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I sort of incorporate it into Samhain.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no what is this holiday? and what do you do?
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That's what I'm trying to find out incarnita LOL I read about it on various websites, I think it's mainly hispanic/mexican tradition of a time where the families await the return of their loved ones who have passed on. The way i understood it from one website was on November 1st they have a celebration for Children who passed to return on the second of november adults return. They don't cry they celebrate because the ancestors may slip on their tears. this is just one site, there are others out there and I vaguely remember doing a report for spanish class in HS on this date, however, that was well over 20 years ago LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009