is my breastmilk really not enough?

I read recently that the AAP has concluded that breastmilk doesn't have all the nutrients my baby needs and that I should be supplementing with vitamins. Is this true? It just seems odd, since there hasn't always been supplements or formula. Do I need to buy the vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What age did they say this was true for?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my dr tells me to give her vitamin d.
    i do it, its not like it will hurt her
    mine is 5mo
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sometimes the AAP says things we wish they didn't say. One of the things they say is breastmilk doesn't have enough vitamin D. Vitamin D isn't even a vitamin! It's sunshine. Then they say don't let any sun get on your baby. Don't use sunscreen before a certain age and then use bunches!

The vitamin D recommendation came after some black kids with minimal sun exposure had bone problems. If you never let sunlight get on your baby after you might consider vitamin D. You could wait a couple of months or even until the 4-6 month starting solid period.

The other vitamin of concern is iron. Not a vitamin but a mineral. Babies start needing more iron around 9 months. Breastmilk is a poor source compared to formula. However, the form of iron in breastmilk is well absorbed. You can give your 9 month old meat or other foods for iron.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months, even by the AAP.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My dr recommended TriViSol for my baby. My older 3 all had low iron at 9 months so had to have iron supplements - we haven't been for my youngests 9 mnths appt yet, coming up soon.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My feeling is that unless your doctor tells you your baby isn't getting enough of something there's no reason for supplementing in the first 6 months.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The problem with giving your baby vitamins is that it changes the whole digestive system. It does harm them, in ways that may last their whole life. For more info go to www.kellymom.com

A problem with the AAP is that it issues recommendations from one part of the AAP without talking to another part of the AAP. The Breastfeeding Committee, the people that are experts on breastfeeding, issued the statement about exclusive breastfeeding that is in agreement with the World Health Organization. That means no vitamins. Then someone else or another group in the AAP will recommend something that has to do with breastfeeding and not even talk to the breastfeeding experts.

The SIDS group of the AAP recommended babies sleep with pacifiers. This was not long after the Breastfeeding Statement came out discouraging the use of bottles and pacifiers in breastfed babies. There were many organizations and individuals upset about this.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No one ever told me to change what I give my baby and I ebf'ed her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Breastmlk is TECHNICALLY all your baby needs....you can get her vit D by taking her outside for 5 minutes a day and not need to supplement unless you live where there's no sun.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Actually, your BM is perfect nutrition for your baby. If your baby needs more of a certain vitamin, your body will react to your baby's saliva and create more for the next nursing session! Think of your breasts as short order cooks :)

Vitamin D- Sunlight. If your Caucasian, it's very attainable by getting sunlight for 5 minutes a day. If you're dark skinned, your body doesn't absorb it as easily so you may need to increase the time in the sunlight. Do it in short time periods, a couple times a day.

No matter what you eat, no matter how many iron-containing vitamins you take, even if you take only iron supplements, the iron levels in your milk will never increase. By the time this becomes a problem (usually around 6 months) baby can get iron from other food sources. No biggie there.

A vitamin supplement is not necessary for baby. Have confidence in your milk, it does a baby good!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• heres info on vitamins...read up on it and make the decision for yourself...the ONLY thing BM is "missing" is Vitamin D and that is best absorbed from sunlight. 5 minutes a day of direct sunlight...all the in and out of the car can count btw.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009