Moms who don't allow their children to Celebrate Halloween..I have a question

Could you please share with me what you tell your children when their friends are out trick or treating or attending halloween parties and they are not allowed to participate. (i am not bashing here at all) Are they upset, or do they understand? At what age do they understand the religious(or non religious) beliefs and reasons for you prohibiting their involvement in what I'm assuming you consider an evil or "commercialized" holiday. Are they allowed to participate in school parties related to Halloween?

Are there some of you (you may reply anon) who send your kids out for halloween activities even though your hubby/church/social circle may frown upon it.

Please refrain from bashing those who reply on this thread, I am just looking for others point of view on this topic.

Thank you!

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 2:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our church did not do it on the 31st. We did it on whatever Saturday was closest to Halloween. Many churches do their Harvest Parties on the 31st to give the kids something positive to go to so that they will not be tempted to trick or treat. Some do the 31st so that they can have something to invite their friends to in order to keep their friends from trick or treating. You can either look at the practices of others in an accusatory, negative way and find a fault with everything or you can acknowledge that there are people out there who love Jesus as much as you do and have a positive, logical reason behind what they do. You don't have to agree in order to just live and let live.

NO DAY is the devil's day. Jesus is Lord of everything and EVERY day is his. I don't even give the devil that kind of acknowledgement.

I'm not Christian but, I LOVE this answer. span>

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We don't celebrate Halloween in the traditional way, like I was brought up. But we do go to a huge harvest festival at our church. My girls do dress up and they do get candy (which I will toss most of later).

I don't think it is wrong to celebrate the harvest, because we believe that God blesses our harvests. Jesus even uses the harvest and agricultural terms to illustrate spiritual truths.

My DD actually gets freaked out by the elaborate Halloween displays at Target that are there for weeks before Halloween. We do not bring skeletons, witches, ghosts, devils, and all the scary stuff (no offense to witches -- I know are not green and ugly-- you would not scare my kids, LOL).

My girls don't even know about trick or treating, because they are so little and we are never home at night on Halloween. But they do love dressing up. This year my oldest was Queen Esther (her choice) and my baby was an angel. So cute.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Personally, I think that any excuse to make special, meaningful memories with your children should be used because they grow up very fast. If Halloween isn't your thing, then create something new and different but let them know how special they are and how much they mean to you.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Ok, Im not a mom who dont let her child 'celebrate' halloween. I am that child, LOL, My mom never let us trick or treat or even eat the candy my grandma would buy for the trick or treaters, (My Mom)-" Its the devils holiday" Well it always made me so sad and we went to a Christian school till 4th grade then we was homeschooled, our church always had a 'Fall Festival' at halloween time and we was never allowed to go! she gave in when I was like 16 and started letting us go to the church partys, they always let the kids dress up but they had to be christian themes. I hated it, and when my inlaws all talk about going trick or treating when they was young Im like I never go to!!, Well needless to say my kids, 4,3,1 have been trick or treating every year since they could walk. (I have there last years pic on my profile) I am a Christian and dont see anything wrong with kids being kids, they are not out there praying to satan or any
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• ...anything, they just like getting to dress up and get lots of candy, that me and dh end up eating most of anyways!!, Sorry my post was so long!!
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 2:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I didn't let my kids do it and don't encourage my grandkids to do it. I also don't let them think there is an Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I'm not about to encourage tooth decay either. Just bc some kids jump off a bridge for fun doesn't mean it's a good idea. That's the way I feel about these silly holidays that do not promote anything educational or healthy. Our community was never big on Halloween anyway and those who did have always been told to go to the Mall or have a party to remain safe. My kids are grown and they have never complained about being cheated out of going out . I wouldn't want to deal with them on a sugar high anyway so it all worked for my family. So my reasons were less religious and more logical.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We were not allowed to celebrate Halloween because it was "of the Devil". I could never see what the harm would be in dressing up in fun costumes and getting some free candy, or what God would have against such activities. I did feel resentful of my parents (and privately thought they were nuts).

As a parent I learned from this. There are some holidays that I don't like a lot of the messages behind, but I do allow my kids to participate in the fun activities surrounding them. We just discuss the parts of the holiday that I don't agree with so they know where I am coming from.

For example, I think that Thanksgiving as it exists in pop culture is basically whitewashing the genocide of the Native Americans. I talk to my kids about how many, many cultures including the indigeneous cultures of Europe celebrated harvest festivals, and how I don't like the way our pop culture Thanksgiving doesn't talk about what came next.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• from the time i was like 4-16 and into trick or treating my VERY religious mom devised a plan that worked well for us. we switched years. 1 yr i could choose... a party, trick or treating, whatever. the next her choice.. sometimes staying home (and either passing out candy or not) or sometimes a church function. with my kids we're trying to keep it a fall thing. costumes to the pumpkin patch, no witches or scary stuff
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I LOVE going to the pumpkin patch! That is one of my favorte parts, plus it is my favorite time of the year. I am getting all excited now! I love the fall.

I think it is a fun season. Oh, and I don't just make my kids wear Bible themed costumes. My dd just chose one this year, because she went through this Esther phase, with Veggie Tales and making us read that story every night before bed.

But they have also been minnie mouse, pirates (girl pirates, lol), turtles, butterflies. So as long as it isn't scary, they get to pick. And when they grow up, no hoochie costumes, LOL : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Wow thank you ladies for your honest responses. I am especially intrigued by the answers of those who were forbidden to celebrate the holiday and resented it later. I don't know if intrigued is the right word to use here, but I think it's interesting to hear the opinion from the adult "child's" point of view.

Blessings and thank you for your opinions. More are welcome to reply I'll be closing this thread at the end of the day. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009