is it normal for my 15 yr old son to be so dramatic over a girl

he has been with her for a yr. & they r really close. outside of school. we allow them to spend time together 2-3 times a week. but if we happen to be busy, he gets over-upset cries, throws himself around like a 2 yr old. I even got 2 neighbors knocking on my door wondering what was going on bc they could hear him 2 doors down. what can I do? he doesn't seem mature enough to be with a girl, the way he is so young.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like he is a little to into his girlfriend. Tell him the more he acts like that the longer he will not see her. His actions should have consequences.

Answer by louise2 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It seems like too much from a 15-year old. I'd suggest that he go to a doctor and talk about his behavior.

Answer by Bmat at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree. He's not displaying the characteristics of a young man who is mature enough to have a relationship with a girl. The tantrums have to stop. 15 isn't too old to get grounded. He has choices to make if he wants to have free time for this girl.

I was in love when I was 14, 15 & 16 (same guy for 3 years). I know what it's like to think your world revolves around this person, but it's your job to teach your son how to be in love, or in a relationship, without loosing yourself. Sounds like he's pretty gone to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Co-dependency? Lack of emotional control?

I would ask a behavioral specialist because it sounds extreme and disturbing. Does he have this reaction only over the girl or is it about everything that doesn't go his way?

I would speak with him and explain him that his tantrum won't get him what he wants and that you understand his frustration but he needs to be able to regulate his emotions and although it is perfectly normal and healthy to cry and be upset, there are acceptable ways to express those emotions and some like the "2 year old behavior" that aren't appropriate for his age.

I strongly suggest to check with behavioral psychiatrist, sounds concerning, I know I would, he is 15 he should be able to express his disappointment differently..
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'd go pop some popcorn and sit down to watch the show. actually I did do that and called my two girls in to watch their brother make a fool of himself. He stopped after that.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Teens can get very dramatic. Because their life experience is limited, they may think the world is ending when their hearts get pulled or broken (we do remember, don't we?). I'd try a calm conversation to get his perspective, maybe have him switch roles w/you & see if he gets how it looks from your position, & ask what he thinks would help the situation.

Note: b/c of normal teen brain development, his logic & decision making skills are not in place yet. It might be useful for him to talk to a therapist to sort out his feelings -- and to assuage your concerns. As a former high school counselor, I actually know of teen boys who ended their lives when their young romantic ventures were thwarted. Not saying this is the case w/him, but I'd want him to have a competent adult besides parents to talk to. Take a breath, and good luck!
    DrGaga

Answer by DrGaga at 12:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I love it! Great idea... before worrying about brain development and behavioral psychiatrist, I'd try this:

admckenzie: I'd go pop some popcorn and sit down to watch the show. actually I did do that and called my two girls in to watch their brother make a fool of himself. He stopped after that.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 7:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009