Clinton suggests US could join war crimes court?

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says it is a "great regret" that the United States is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

Clinton spoke Thursday in Kenya during a seven-nation tour of Africa.

The court is the first permanent institution authorized to try individuals for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes when national courts are unable or unwilling to do so.

The U.S. formally rejected U.S. participation in May 2002. A main concern was that American servicemen hunting down terrorists abroad might not be safe from politically motivated prosecutions.

Clinton said it is "a great regret but it is a fact that we are not yet a signatory. But we have supported the court and continue to do so."
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090806/D99TAKU00.html

Should this be a line not crossed? Personally this admin is pretty scary to say the least.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would not be suprised if they signed but I don't think people would stand to have our people subjected to a world court. That would be the final slap to our constitution.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• "but I don't think people would stand to have our people subjected to a world court. "

I wish I had your optimism. Fact is, a man recently appointed to be a chief White House legal counsel ADVOCATES for respecting international law OVER the US Constitution. And we have seen similar opinions coming from US judges in very high courts, too.

Take a look at the charters and constitutions (wherever such things exist) of other countries. They do not guarantee individual rights and liberties - free of government control - like our US Constitution does. .... Are not the insane stories of Americans jailed in other countries sufficient warning to us about the low level of integrity of other gov'ts?

I wouldn't want the US to be forced to cooperate in the corrupt, political trials to be found in today's war crimes "court".
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009