What should I do with my cat?

My cat peed on my couch and on the floor. We could have a ton of cat litter new and clean but she doesn't care. She's 2 yrs old and I tried calling 3 shelters...but they all said no room for her. I don't know what to do with her and I feel bad to just let her go outside since she never lived outside before. I can't have her destroying everything though.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Don't put her out. It would be kinder to have the vet put her down. First the vet should check her for infection or advise you about how to train her to use her box. But if you don't want to keep her, let the vet take care of it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She may have a bladder problem you should consider talking to your vet.
    Also even if the litter is clean, there could be something in the box or the box its-self that maybe causing her not to use it...
    Also cats attract to certain areas that has a smell... i.e.. an infant/child peed on the couch, floor in similar area as cat did...another animal come into the house...
    But if you still feel that you need to get rid of her, you really should try to find a home for her or find a harm-no animal shelter... they may have room and most will ask for a small donation too... but these places will keep the animal and work to find a home for her...

Good Luck...
    Me personally I would find the reason behind the problem... I have had cats my entire life and have run into many problems and never once did I get rid of them bc of them...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Have you check if there is any medical reason for her "accidents"

I have 2 cats, one of them is a royal pain in the neck but is like children once you have them, they are your responsibility. Mine are 10 years old so I figure at this point we have 10 more years to go and after that, No more pets.

We have to do the responsible thing because nobody ask them to come into our family but ourselves, so for better or worst, no matter how much they make my life miserable, they are my pets and for the good times we have shared, they deserve a happy long life of love and affection till th eend of their days. 20 years go by fast. Cheer up.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You can try the enzyme spray you get in pet stores to get the smell out so she doesn't do it again.
    She may have an infection or other urinary problem. She probably needs to go to the vet. You may be able to find out about low cost vet clinics on Craigslist.

If you just can't keep her you can find rescue organizations on Craigslist. You can also go to google and try to find cat rescue organizations in your area.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• gmasboy...you are right. I don't want to get rid of her. But I don't want my son to crawl into something or sit in something. Sometimes I don't notice where's she went and sit in it...totally gross. You are right though I will call the vet.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Plus I am broke now too and can't afford new couches or rugs. and now I have a son he comes first to be fed, obviously.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes, definitely go to the vet for a UTI, if you give a cat to a shelter who has urination problems they will put it down right after you pay them to take it. If your cat is fixed let it outside and watch it carefully. Check some books out at the library about cat behavior, it can be due to stress, medical reasons or territory issues. I <3 cats, good luck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Baby comes first no question about that but maybe there is a solution that can enable you to keep the cat.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with Bmat and gmasboy.

I would add that you can get some really good cleaners for your pet accidents at Petco and Petsmart. Buy the gallon size (approx. $20-30) It's cheaper that way.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• take her to the vet and use Dr. Elseys for stain/smell removal. contact a humane society behavioralist if it is not a medial problem. that does not cost $$
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009