Should I pierce my baby's ears??

There is alot of Hub-bub in my world about this - I would really like to pierce her ears (she is 3 months old). My mom and two best friends are VERY much against this idea. They believe that I should wait until she wants them pierced at what ever that age may be. My husband is somewhat ambivalent about the whole thing...I would like soem opions please Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish my mom hadn't let me pierce mine when I was 6. I did some petite modeling in my teens and it was a huge hindrance that I had some holes in my ears. I am making my daughter wait until she is at least 12 and has her own opinions/ideas.

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My opinion is not to. Wait until she can decide if she wants them pierced!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• don't do it at 3 mos. wait til close til 6mos, after she's had more shots, specifically tetanus. And no mall, TONS of dr's office's do them these days. if done on a healthy baby with a normal immune system after the 1st few months of shots specifically tetanus and by a medical professional not a mall rat with a dirty ear gun... AND with good quality infant appropriate locking earings... it is NO MORE DANGEROUS than a papercut.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No No No. When I lay on my side my earrings sometimes hurt my ears. You would have to leave a baby's in a lot or all the time and she could be in misery because of them. Mine sometimes itch and hurt even if they are hypoallergenic and my ears aren't red.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I would not do it. I agree with your mom. I would be very upset if someone did that to me before I was old enough to make the choice on my own. I got mine done when i was 6, and did enjoy wearing earrings at some points in my life, but I haven't in a long while and I don't really like the way the holes look (even if they grow closed you can still tell). My girls won't be doing it until they are old enough to ask AND old enough to take care of it themselves.

If you are going to do it anyway, which I'm thinking you might, then do it soon before she is older and will mess with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I have 2 lil girls i had both or there ears piecred @ age 1 its a tradition I started in my family....my mother made me wait till i was 12 and I hated it all my friends had periced ears and i had to wait ...plus both of my girls have no hair at 1 and I got tired of ppl calling them boys! lol its really up to you iether way ....the + about my mom makin me wait is i remember the pinch and the sharp needle pain and since then i have never gotten anyother pericings ot tattoos....
    Anonymous

• I say do them if you like! If you have them pierced, she'll want them done too more likely than not. It's freaking adorable. And if she doesn't like them when she's older, she can take 'em out.

if you do the mall store with the piercing gun, she'll always have visible scars/holes. the Dr's office uses a sterile needle and it's much different... there isnt so much cartiledge involved so later in life she can be earring free with no marks.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• it's a matter of personal choice, ladies. but don't be ignorant, please? if done properly it's NOT unsafe, unclean, dangerous, painful, etc etc .... if you don't like it or agree with it, terrific you're exercising your right of opinion and that's a lovely, lovely thing. But baby ear piercing isn't always what you think of it. Some people research it, talk to the babies dr and get it OK'd first, and clean them like clockwork 3x a day as instructed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE DOING IT, THEN DO IT, ITS YOUR CHILD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I have a little one too, and I know that she will look cute with earnings on, but I am waiting untill she grows up and wants her ears pierced. It will be a exciting day for her when she is old enough to know the difference.
    nbraund

Answer by nbraund at 3:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009