Ahh My M.I.L is driving me crazy. Is this right?

Well my M.I.L has always hada thing about my son not getting enough to eat. she put me throught postpartum depression when i was breatfeeding my newborn he always wanted more, but thats normal right? but she would always saythings like your feeding him again? or u should give him formula to make sure he gets his 4 oz of milk, and after my crazy Dr. told me to give the baby cereal with milk IN A BOTTLE when my baby was 1 MONTH OLD.(which i didnt) she would always tell me to give him cereal in the night so he could sleep the whole night, which hw is a very good sleeper like at 4 months he started sleeping thru most of the night. And also at 4 months she wanted me to start the baby on solids, which i didnt do because i was still breastfeeding, she would tell me that other babies ate already and that why mines didnt. She didnt understand why its better to give him solids at 6 months.

To Be continued...

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take her to a LLL meeting with you. It's very common now for grandma to go too.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If MIL is the type to be influenced by expert opinions, you could print her out some literature backing up your choices. Or if she's not, you just need to be clear but firm that you are the parent here, and if you need her advice you will ask for it. She'll probably be offended, but otherwise she will drive you crazy. I'd rather have her be offended than me be driven crazy.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Obviously she didn't breastfeed. I would provide her with documented research that supports your decisions. Be clear with her, of course in a very tactful way, that based on this research you have chosen to breastfeed and wait on solids. She may not agree but is it not her place to make attempts toward trying to change your plans. I agree with the above poster, take her with you to an LLL meeting. It could be very helpful and at the same time if she has questions she can get an outside opinion on them.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Hey I CAUGHT my MIL putting cereal in my one month olds bottle! She snuck the rice cereal into my house and put it in her bottle. Needless to say I had meltdown
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• do you use breastpumps? if you do, show her how much milk your baby is getting, and how often. I m sure you have realized this already now that everyone wants to put their two cents in when it comes to your baby. Keep in mind that their overall intentions are good and out of concern. U could probably expect comments from your mother in law, and realize that she is doing this out of concern, and just don't sweat over the ones that you don't agree on. U will spare yourself headache, and I am sure she doesn't wanna be told by anyone younger than herself that she doesn't know how to care for a baby.
    nbraund

Answer by nbraund at 3:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Mother in laws, mothers, sisters, aunts, and whoever else with an opinion really needs to start keeping it to themselves....if they give it anyway, IGNORE them....I just listen and say OK then go on with my life...Im not doing things the way my family agrees with, ie...co-sleeping and guess what?? i really could give a crap! It's your baby, just nod and ignore...not worth getting worked up about. stay healthy and happy for YOUR baby. Everyone will always have an opinion......and also, in response to PP, who cares how much she's getting , iT's NOT the MILs business!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009